Extending pbuilder for cross-builds

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Thu Feb 12 07:34:33 UTC 2009

Twas brillig at 14:32:51 12.02.2009 UTC+09 when dancer at netfort.gr.jp did gyre and gimble:

 JU> What you are trying to do sounds interesting, but you would want to
 JU> elaborate further on what kind of cross building you have in mind.

 JU> I'm pretty much satisfied with running qemubuilder myself, so I
 JU> don't quite understand what you are doing here.

 JU> What kind of packages can be cross built (are they Debian official
 JU> packages)?

They are not. We have a hybrid system: Debian is used as a buildhost,
Debian tools are used for a building packages (with some help from
dpkg-cross), and the target packages are all cross-built.

While all the tools used are Debian ones, target packages are quite
different: we're not trying to follow the Emdebian way and cross-build
everything in Debian (this way it would be easier to join Emdebian), but
have a reasonable set of packages properly configured/stripped for the
embedded system.

Qemu just still have too much bugs - SLIND guys tried it and abandoned
it.