Integrating pbuilder-apt-config and $MIRROR

Osamu Aoki osamu at debian.org
Fri Apr 30 18:39:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am back ... (I was busy updating maint-guide to cope with newer
dh_make and new debhelper using dh $@ ).

As I look into pbuilder update issue, I am stack with what to do with
$MIRROR. If I can break compatibility, this is simple.  But I do not
want to break complicated script of other peoples.  This is a bit
complicated task.  I want to get some help by pbuilder-apt-config to
ease this stress.

What I need for pbuilder-apt-config to minimize damages are:

  * command "test" to test correctness of profile/suite value "foo" as:

   $ pbuilder-apt-config --profile foo test
   $ pbuilder-apt-config --suite   foo test

    This shold return exit code 1 or 0.  (I will use inside "if")

    I am thinking to unset $MIRROR internally if --distribution is provided
    with correct argument.  When $MIRROR is unset, apt-source line is
    installed by pbuilder-apt-config using
     $ pbuilder-apt-config --profile $DISTRIBUTION apt-sources

    Instead of old rule using $DISTRIBUTION $MIRROR $COMPONENT.

    Of course, real code used will check $ARCHITECTURE, :-)

 * optional argument to set preffered Debian mirror

    I am thinking to create $DEBMIRROR variable which is set by current
    debconf script setting $MIRROR to set $DEBMIRROR too.

   $ pbuilder-apt-config --profile foo --debmirror $DEBMIRROR <command>
   $ pbuilder-apt-config --suite   foo --debmirror $DEBMIRROR <command>

 * addition of manpage for pbuilder-apt-config

   Please. Then updating pbuilder is easier.

What do you think ?

Osamu (off-line now)