Build packages for different distributions?

Loïc Minier lool at dooz.org
Sat Jun 12 16:25:05 UTC 2010

        Heya

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010, Ole Streicher wrote:
> I have some packages which I compiled for Ubuntu, but I am quite sure
> that they would also work under Debian.

 This is a very bad idea; binary package differ between the
 distributions, even when the source is the same.  This can be the
 dependency on the version of libc6, or the tools used during build such
 as debhelper or cdbs, or anything really.  For instance Debian might be
 using a trigger to support some stuff while Ubuntu isn't, or
 vice-versa.

> Is there an efficient way to support both distributions? For Ubuntu, I
> use launchpad; but this builds only packages for Ubuntu. Is there a
> similar repository/build system for Debian? What is the preferred way to
> offer Debian packages

 There is no PPA for Debian, but a lot of teams host packages on alioth.
 The best thing to do is to push your packages straight to Debian,
 either Debian unstable or experimental.  You could get these sponsored
 or become a Debian Maintainer or a Debian Developer to get them
 included.

    Cheers
--
Loïc Minier