pbuilder error: "groups: cannot find name for group ID 123"

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:21:03 UTC 2011

I have just started using pbuilder and have a hook script to log me in
to pbuilder upon error.

In the package source directory, in this case "xmlwrapp-0.6.2," I execute:

  $ sudo pbuilder --build --logfile pbuilder.log ../*.dsc

The build eventually fails with this error:

  # groups: cannot find name for group ID 123

There is an existing group with that number in my /etc/group:

  pkcs11:x:123:root

which is apparently associated with one of the public key packages.

I have looked at the source code but don't see any real help.

I have tried setting this in my ~/.pbuilderrc:

  BUILDRESULTGID=999

but it doesn't change anything.

I am using Ubuntu 10.10, 64-bit, with pkbuilder installed through the
package manager and its version shows as: 0.198ubuntu2

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Tom