pbuilder maintenance (ITA)

Osamu Aoki osamu at debian.org
Wed Jun 24 14:18:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 07:08:14PM +0000, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> premise: in To there are the current listed (co-)maintainers, in CC
> the rest of the people on the alioth team + Holger + Andreas +
> Thorsten + the ML.
>
> I'm an heavy user of pbuilder, now even more than in the past due to
> using that on jenkins.d.n for reproducible stuff, and i'm sad by his
> state.
>
> So, I do intend to step up as a (co-)maintainer of pbuilder.  Given
> that it has been a while since the last upload/commit/stuff by you
> I'll do a co-hijack anyway at some time, but if some of you
> agree/allow me to put my name in Uploaders: that would be easier (in a
> moral manner as in avoiding questions like "is this ok in a NMU?").

Thanks. Great to see someone is leading again.

Let me share something from the past.

I had itches to add simple command line UI to support multiple
distributions .... then my momentum was lost when I found to use
git-pbuilder as a wrapper.  So much for short introduction of myself.

When I was involved, Junichi reminded me that the command line feature
needs to be matched by the cowbuilder (his newer effort to speed up
pbuilder), too.

The cowbuilder is faster and now used as default for git-buildpackage.
It is provided by the cowdancer source.  It also needs love too.

Regards,

Osamu