[Pcsclite-muscle] HELP! Any experience on smart card chip wearing?

Umberto Rustichelli umberto.rustichelli at gt50.org
Mon Sep 8 09:10:24 UTC 2014

On 09/08/2014 10:45 AM, Martin Paljak wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Arne Ansper <arne at ats.cyber.ee> wrote:
>> Some time ago we implemented system where smartcard signed continously. In
>> order to have some understanding how reliable this might be, I did a test.
> Same here.
>
> Wanting to test the reliability of Estonian eID and the "eeprom write
> operations limit" thing from Wikipedia (as the card has a usage
> counter) a similar script was tested against it. It ran for maybe a
> month and half and was not restarted after a machine restart, and I
> also changed during the test cycle warm reset of the card to a powerup
> reset before every operation and the counter was around 2.something
> million signatures and card working properly last time I checked.

Do you mean that you re-powered the card and re-established the session
for each signature?

That would slow down the procedure by a factor of (more or less) 3, am I
correct?

What I do is just connect, login (C_Login) than start signing (OpenSSL
signs using the RSA op provided by engine_pkcs11 that wraps the PKCS11
module)...