[Pcsclite-muscle] Client code review request

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Nov 14 00:23:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-11-13 at 20:25 +0100, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> > I think this is something that pcsclite basically defines, and the
> IFD
> > drivers ought to follow. Either you declare that it's all UTF-8,
> > everywhere (which is the sane option in 2014), or you declare that
> it
> > follows $LC_CTYPE (which I think would parallel the Windows
> > SCardListReadersA function).
>
> Since valid charaters are ([A-Z]|[a-z]|[0-9]|[
> \t]|[!@#$%^&*()\-+/_\:?.,=~'";\[\]])+ we can declare that only a
> subset of ASCII is supported.

Well, that's an implementation detail rather than something the API
guarantees, but OK. It would be nice if the relevant documentation (on
the PC/SC API side as well as the interface for the IFD drivers) would
clearly *mandate* UTF-8 (since your supported chars ⊂ ASCII ⊂ UTF-8).

That way, when a hypothetical generic CCID class driver *does* start to
pull device names out of USB descriptors it can do the right thing.

--
dwmw2