[Pcsclite-muscle] Problem using a "GnuPG card V2" smartcard with a "Gemalto USB Shell Token V2" reader

Umberto Rustichelli umberto.rustichelli at gt50.org
Fri Dec 12 16:30:48 UTC 2014

On 12/10/2014 01:39 PM, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>> Moreover, if I read
>>    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pcsclite-cvs-commit/2014-October/006576.html
>> correctly, that patch is unneeded with the latest firmware for the
>> reader. Should I consider upgrading my reader’s firware? Do you know
>> where I can find the latest firmware and upgrade instructions? I had a
>> look at Gemalto Support website with no success.
> I think the firmware is in ROM (and not in EEPROM or Flash) so you
> can't upgrade it.
> Maybe you can ask your reseller for an reader exchange.

Hi Ludovic, hi all.
I suspect I'm going to face the same issue with Gemalto USB key-form
readers as I'm going to test them with a USB3 hub.
There is no serial print on these small USB keys.
QUESTION: is it possible to tell the firmware version or reader version
by the command lsusb or some other command?
Does the iSerial field (see below) tell me something useful?
Thanks

This is the full lsusb -vvv dump for one of the keys (old Red Hat ES
v5.4, also my PCSC/ccid SW is quite old):

Bus 001 Device 023: ID 08e6:3438 Gemplus GemPC Key SmartCard Reader
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0         8
   idVendor           0x08e6 Gemplus
   idProduct          0x3438 GemPC Key SmartCard Reader
   bcdDevice            2.00
   iManufacturer           1 Gemalto
   iProduct                2 USB SmartCard Reader
   iSerial                 3 907D0FB0
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           93
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
     MaxPower               50mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass        11 Chip/SmartCard
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       ChipCard Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                54
         bDescriptorType        33
         bcdCCID              1.01  (Warning: Only accurate for version 1.0)
         nMaxSlotIndex           0
         bVoltageSupport         7  ?
         dwProtocols             3  T=0 T=1
         dwDefaultClock       4800
         dwMaxiumumClock      4800
         bNumClockSupported      0
         dwDataRate          12903 bps
         dwMaxDataRate      825806 bps
         bNumDataRatesSupp.     53
         dwMaxIFSD             254
         dwSyncProtocols  00000000
         dwMechanical     00000000
         dwFeatures       00010230
           Auto clock change
           Auto baud rate change
           NAD value other than 0x00 accpeted
           TPDU level exchange
         dwMaxCCIDMsgLen       271
         bClassGetResponse      00
         bClassEnvelope         00
         wlcdLayout           none
         bPINSupport             0
         bMaxCCIDBusySlots       1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
         bInterval              16

Questo messaggio e' stato analizzato con Libra ESVA ed e' risultato non infetto.

Seguire il link qui sotto per segnalarlo come spam:

https://esva.gt50.org/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=EABF94028F.AA792