[Pcsclite-muscle] OSX - Yosemite - PCSC-Lite vs CryptoToken Framework

Evans, Frazier [USA] evans_frazier at bah.com
Wed Feb 11 15:32:26 UTC 2015

So as I have read from the blogs and seen first hand with multiple Smart Card Middleware products there are some challenges with the current Smart Card direction that Apple may be taking.   I am looking for other opinions on this and if this not an appropriate forum please direct me to one.

I am wondering if building the current PCSC-lite and CCID drivers would not solve the problems I am currently seeing with using FIPS 800-73 v 3 compliant smart cards for the near term as everyone works out their issues.  Before I head down this trail here are a couple of questions:

a)      Can PCSC-Lite and the new CryptoToken Framework co-exist and function properly on Yosemite?

b)      What is the downside to this approach for a user base of approximately 1000 Smart Card users on Macs?

Thanks for your help

Frazier