[Pcsclite-muscle] How to Identify USB devices on linux/ubuntu/debian

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:17:04 UTC 2017

> Well its easy to specify the device for the docker container.... that's
resolved already.

> However, the IDs on the USB bus are not fixed for a physical device and
cannot be used reliably for this.

> So I don't know which card is in which physical USB device XXX on the bus.
>
> But how can I find  the mapping from the physical device to a USB device
id which I can give to the container to connect the right device.
> This was my original question. How to find this mapping!
>
> I can list the devices on the usb bus.
>
> I can list the enumerated readers... and read the contents of the
inserted cards.

> How the cards read with an enumerated card reader name are connected to a
physical reader AKA ID on the usb bus is hidden in the stack!
> :(
>
> As in your original answer... it does not seem possible.
> At least not within the pcsclite library.

I see your problem now.

Maybe you can use an "intelligent" USB hub that can control the power of
each USB connector independently.
You power the USB devices one after the other and attach the newly found
device in a new container.
Since you control what USB connector is powered up you know what smart card
reader is concerned.

Could that work for you?

Bye

--