[Perkamon-l10n-fr] Tracking the Debian man-pages French translation

David Prévot david at tilapin.org
Dim 31 Oct 16:57:42 UTC 2010

Hi Michael, an the perkamon team,

Le 31/10/2010 10:00, Michael Kerrisk a écrit :
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM, David Prévot <david at tilapin.org> wrote:
>> Le 30/10/2010 02:46, Michael Kerrisk a écrit :

>>> I have a question: what is the easiest way for me to track the state
>>> of the French man-pages translation?

Denis already explained the current workflow and a way to have an idea
of tracking the state just by looking at the Git commits (which may be
easier than my point of view). I just want to try and explain what I
didn't succeed to earlier.

[...]

>> For example, right now (about the 3.29 release) we are up to date since
>> yesterday :
>>
>> $ LANG=C make stats
[...]
>> man6: 13 translated messages.
>> man7a-l: 3625 translated messages.
>> man7m-z: 3174 translated messages.
>> man8: 278 translated messages.
>> 30484 translated, 0 fuzzy, 0 untranslated ==> 100.00%
>
> Thanks. But I'm still not quite clear -- this doesn't give me an
> indication of the difference between what is translated and what
> you've pulled from my current head, does it?

Actually it does (relatively to the 3.29 here): you can see on the last
line that the translation is complete: “30484 translated, 0 fuzzy, 0
untranslated ==> 100.00%”. At the beginning of the process, the
2010-10-20, (the “Sync to man-pages 3.29” commit), the same command
displayed:

> LANG=C make stats
[...]
> man6: 13 translated messages.
> man7a-l: 3617 translated messages, 3 fuzzy translations, 5 untranslated messages.
> man7m-z: 3165 translated messages, 7 fuzzy translations, 2 untranslated messages.
> man8: 278 translated messages.
> 30423 translated, 22 fuzzy, 39 untranslated ==> 99.80%

man7 pages were not up to date yet: 3+5 and 7+3 strings were not in yet
translated. I updated man7 (“(fr) man7 update” commit) the following
day, so this command displayed:

> $ LANG=C make stats
[...]
> man6: 13 translated messages.
> man7a-l: 3625 translated messages.
> man7m-z: 3174 translated messages.
> man8: 278 translated messages.
> 30440 translated, 12 fuzzy, 32 untranslated ==> 99.86%

man7 pages were then fully translated, and 12+32 strings needed to be
translated in the rest of the manual pages.

There might be a way to automatically get this sort of information: the
release version (the “X.Y or “xxxxxxx” of the previous “Sync to
man-pages X.Y” or “Sync to upstream xxxxxxx” commit as explained by
Denis) and display it in a fashionable way like:

	http://i18n.debian.net/l10n-pkg-status/a/adduser.html

for example, but I don't know how to do it, and I wonder if it worth it.

Regards

David