Minutes from the PET BoF during DebConf9

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Sat Aug 22 15:10:52 UTC 2009

Quite late, but still sooner than never, here are the minutes from the
PET BoF held during DebConf9.

GOAL OF THE BoF
===============
how to continue development and plan some way to go

CURRENT SITUATION
=================
 - monolyth approach
 - development is stale, only small fixes and improvements. SPAGHETTI
 - nevertheless, 14 teams use PET, pkg-perl can hardly live without
   it.

DEVELOPMENT GOALS
=================
add support for different types of repositories (darcs, git)
 - abstract repository access into a class
   - Ryan52++ is working on abstracting repository support
   - invesigate present projects for abstracting repo access:
     debcommit, debcheckout.
 - nomeata has a patch for darcs support. as a replacement of SVN,
   proves it is feasible
 - abstract package access into a class
 - information about the repo layout, maybe per package, needs to be
   stored somewhere.  svnbuildstat has a database

support arbitrary number of repositories in one instance

UDD integration
===============
would be nice to fetch data from there, but there are some problems
 * a chache is still needed as the connection to UDD may be unavailable
 * makes it impossible to use in private, non-alioth, non-debian installs
  * possible solution: astract archive data gathering class with
    sub-classes for UDD and self-parsing of Packages files

if we are able to send post-commit changes to UDD, then we can use it
even as a source for repository states.
 - I think Lucas didn't find this a good idea as the contents are not
   in the archive yet and in general are only of interest to the
      people working in the package VCS

MISC
====
Try not to duplicate DEHS?
 - but watch files need to be from svn
DEHS could be made (in theory) to use watch files from SVN and
therefore provide up-to-date status fo the bleeding edge.

IMPROVEMENTS
support "bare debian" layout -- only the contents of the debian/
directory are in the repository and in the *top level* directory, not
in debian/

convert hash-of-hash-of-hashes to classes with accessor methods and
get run-time syntax check. documentation would be great.

--
dam