Alioth status update, take 3

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Mon May 30 09:00:54 UTC 2011

[Mail sent offline, don’t be confused if others have replied as well
already]

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 29.05.2011, 22:22 +0200 schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
> Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> writes:
> > Does PET2 support debian-only VCS layouts? We have one Darcs repository
> > per package, each containing only the contents of the debian/ directory.
> > You can browse and access files directly via HTTP, below this path:
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/
>
> Not yet, but it's easy to add (stripping "debian/" when retrieving
> files should be enough).

So will this be part of the configuration or will PET figure it out
automatically?

> > Unfortunately, reading Tags is not so easy remotely. One would expect
> > that
> > $ darcs show tags --repo=http://anonscm.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/bluetile
> > works, because this works:
> > $ darcs changes --repo=http://anonscm.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/bluetile
> >
> > As a work-around, the latter can be post-processed easily to extract the
> > tags. I’ll file a bug against darcs about "show tags", but until this is
> > fixed and finds it way into a stable Debian release, some time
> > passes :-)
>
> That shouldn't be a problem, I will just get the list of tags in the
> commit hook as I do for Git.

Good. Then "darcs show tags --repodir=/path/to/repository" gives tags,
one per line.

> Is there some way to see that the current head changed? With Git I can
> use the commit hash for this, is there something comparable for darcs?

Hmm, as darcs tracks changes, and not states, there is no easy hash. But
a good approximation would be the number of patches. It is part of the
output of
darcs show repo --repodir=/...
and if you prefer to parse XML, you can also pass --xml-output.

> Can tags change?

Not in the normal course of action, but sometimes when I push a tag and
immediately notice that it was wrong, then I log into alioth and use
"darcs obliterate" to remove it. So it can change in rare cases.

Also, there can be more than one tag of the same name, e.g. if two
people do a simultaneous upload. Not sure if PET need to worry about
that, though.

> Does darcs support branches? Or is there a repository naming scheme for
> "branches" (in case "branch" means using another repository)?

Darcs does not support branches, i.e. for branches you just have more
than one repository. So far we have not needed it. I guess once we do,
we’d use something like /darcs/pkg-haskell/experimental/<pkgname>.

> Is it possible to retrieve file contents for a specific tag remotely?
> Maybe by (ab)using darcsweb? Or do I need a local clone and use darcs
> show contents with it?

darcs show contents changelog --tag 1.6.4-1
works for example. The argument to tag is actually a regex, so
darcs show contents changelog --tag "^1\.6\.9-1$"
is more correct. Unfortunately, this does not work remotely, just like
show tags. This is tracked, by the way, on
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue2075. We can add that having it for contents
might be nice, but I assume that for technical reasons, you cannot do
much better than effectively pulling the whole repository for that.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner