Subject: [Pkg-cacti-maint] Bug#653897: [ITR] templates://cacti/{cacti.templates}

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 07:13:00 +0100

Dear Debian maintainer,

The Debian internationalisation team and the Debian English
localisation team will soon begin the review of the debconf
templates used in cacti.

This review takes place for all packages that use debconf to interact with
users and its aims are:
- to improve the use of English in all debconf templates;
- to make the wording of debconf templates more consistent;
- to encourage more translations of templates.

Even if your first language is English, this process is likely to help
track down typos or errors, and improve consistency between the
debconf templates of your package and that of other packages in the
distribution.

The process involves both debian-l10n-english contributors and
Debian translators.

The details of the process are given in
http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/SmithDebconfReviewProcess.

I will act as the coordinator of this activity for cacti.

The first step of the process is to review the debconf source
template file(s) of cacti. This review will start on Sunday, January 08, 2012, or
as soon as you acknowledge this mail with an agreement for us to
carry out this process.

All parts of the process will be carried out in close collaboration
with you, and, unless you explicitely ask for it, no upload nor NMU
will happen for cacti.

If you approve this process, please let us know by replying to this
mail. If some work in progress on your side would conflict with such a
rewrite (such as adding or removing debconf templates), please say so,
and we will defer the review to later in the development cycle.

Thank you for your attention.

--

---

From: Mahyuddin Susanto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 14:51:40 +0700

Hello

> Thank you for your attention.

As one of Cacti maintainer, I'm so glad for this offer. Please do that.

Thanks!

-- 
[ Mahyuddin Susanto ] - http://udienz.web.id
GPG: 4096R/90B36C5B
Debian Maintainer & Ubuntu Developer

---

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 18:43:53 +0100

Please find, for review, the debconf templates and packages descriptions for the cacti source package.

This review will last from Thursday, January 05, 2012 to Sunday, January 15, 2012.

Please send reviews as unified diffs (diff -u) against the original
files. Comments about your proposed changes will be appreciated.

Your review should be sent as an answer to this mail.

When appropriate, I will send intermediate requests for review, with
"[RFRn]" (n>=2) as a subject tag.

When we will reach a consensus, I send a "Last Chance For
Comments" mail with "[LCFC]" as a subject tag.

Finally, a summary will be sent to the review bug report,
and a mail will be sent to this list with "[BTS]" as a subject tag.

Rationale:
--- cacti.old/debian/cacti.templates	2012-01-01 10:28:46.039467059 +0100
+++ cacti/debian/cacti.templates	2012-01-05 07:14:29.331696424 +0100
@@ -2,8 +2,8 @@
 Type: select
 __Choices: Apache2, None
 Default: Apache2
-_Description: Webserver type
- Please select the webserver type for which cacti should be automatically
+_Description: Web server:
+ Please select the web server for which Cacti should be automatically
  configured.

We always discouraged "contracted words" such as webserver, so
following our policy on this.

Adding colon at the end of the synopsis.

Capitalization of "Cacti".

  .
- Select "None" if you would like to configure your webserver by hand.
+ Select "None" if you would like to configure the web server manually.

"Manually" is more often used than "by hand". Could also be
"yourself".

Avoid "your web server". This might not be "mine"..:)

--- cacti.old/debian/control	2012-01-01 10:28:46.039467059 +0100
+++ cacti/debian/control	2012-01-05 07:17:35.884293523 +0100
@@ -13,15 +13,14 @@
 Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | httpd, libapache2-mod-php5 | php5, php5-mysql, php5-cli, php5-snmp, virtual-mysql-client, rrdtool, snmp, libphp-adodb (>= 4.50-1), ucf, dbconfig-common (>= 1.8.8), ${misc:Depends}
 Recommends: mysql-server, iputils-ping, logrotate
 Suggests: php5-ldap
-Description: Frontend to rrdtool for monitoring systems and services
- Cacti is a complete frontend to rrdtool, it stores all of the necessary
+Description: web frontend for graphing systems and services
monitoring data

Avoid capitalization of synopsis.

My proposal is not perfect. I wanted to say "for graphing the data
provided by systems and services monitoring", but had to short it
down.

I think Justin can boil comething better from this idea..:-)

+ Cacti is a complete frontend to rrdtool. It stores all of the necessary
  information to create graphs and populates them with data in a MySQL
- database.  The frontend is completely PHP driven.  Along with being able
+ database. It only uses PHP. Along with being able
  to maintain Graphs, Data Sources, and Round Robin Archives in a
- database, cacti handles the data gathering also.  There is also SNMP
+ database, Cacti also handles data gathering. It also includes SNMP
  support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.
  .
  This package requires a functional MySQL database server on either the
- installation host or remotely accessible system.  If you do not already
- have a database server available, you should also install mysql-server.
+ installation host or a remotely accessible system.

First  paragraph: make two sentences out of one. Avoid
"PHP-driven"...I kept the sentence but just mention this is "fully and
only PHP"

Reorder words in a sentence ("also") and properly capitalize Cacti

Drop last sentence that's proneto become obsolete in case MySQL
packages are renamed. Just say that it need an RDBMS....

-- 

--- cacti.old/debian/cacti.templates	2012-01-01 10:28:46.039467059 +0100
+++ cacti/debian/cacti.templates	2012-01-05 07:14:29.331696424 +0100
@@ -2,8 +2,8 @@
 Type: select
 __Choices: Apache2, None
 Default: Apache2
-_Description: Webserver type
- Please select the webserver type for which cacti should be automatically
+_Description: Web server:
+ Please select the web server for which Cacti should be automatically
  configured.
  .
- Select "None" if you would like to configure your webserver by hand.
+ Select "None" if you would like to configure the web server manually.
--- cacti.old/debian/control	2012-01-01 10:28:46.039467059 +0100
+++ cacti/debian/control	2012-01-05 18:39:20.460992639 +0100
@@ -13,15 +13,14 @@
 Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | httpd, libapache2-mod-php5 | php5, php5-mysql, php5-cli, php5-snmp, virtual-mysql-client, rrdtool, snmp, libphp-adodb (>= 4.50-1), ucf, dbconfig-common (>= 1.8.8), ${misc:Depends}
 Recommends: mysql-server, iputils-ping, logrotate
 Suggests: php5-ldap
-Description: Frontend to rrdtool for monitoring systems and services
- Cacti is a complete frontend to rrdtool, it stores all of the necessary
+Description: web frontend for graphing systems and services monitoring data
+ Cacti is a complete frontend to rrdtool. It stores all of the necessary
  information to create graphs and populates them with data in a MySQL
- database.  The frontend is completely PHP driven.  Along with being able
+ database. It only uses PHP. Along with being able
  to maintain Graphs, Data Sources, and Round Robin Archives in a
- database, cacti handles the data gathering also.  There is also SNMP
+ database, Cacti also handles data gathering. It also includes SNMP
  support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.
  .
  This package requires a functional MySQL database server on either the
- installation host or remotely accessible system.  If you do not already
- have a database server available, you should also install mysql-server.
+ installation host or a remotely accessible system.
  
--- cacti.old/debian/changelog	2012-01-01 10:28:46.039467059 +0100
+++ cacti/debian/changelog	2012-01-01 15:09:39.943121662 +0100
@@ -1,3 +1,11 @@
+cacti (0.8.7g-3) UNRELEASED; urgency=low
+
+  * Debconf templates and debian/control reviewed by the debian-l10n-
+    english team as part of the Smith review project. Closes: #653897
+  * [Debconf translation updates]
+
+ -- Christian Perrier <[email-masked]>  Sun, 01 Jan 2012 15:09:39 +0100
+
 cacti (0.8.7g-2.1) unstable; urgency=low
 
   * Non-maintainer upload.

---

From: Justin B Rye <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 01:28:14 +0000

> + Select "None" if you would like to configure the web server manually.

Looking good.
 
Then in the control file:
>  Package: cacti
>  Architecture: all
>  Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | httpd, [...]
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(Apache-what?)

> +Description: web frontend for graphing systems and services monitoring data

That doesn't quite work - is it a frontend for graphingsystems and for
services which are monitoring data, or a frontend for
graphing-systems-and-services (which also monitors data), or what?
The original was already a bit ambiguous - does it mean that it's a
 * "front-end for monitoring-systems and monitoring-services"?
 * "front-end for monitoring-systems and for services"?
 * "front-end for doing some monitoring of systems and services"?
 * "front-end for services and for doing some monitoring of systems"?
I'm going to try suggesting:

   Description: web interface for graphing of monitoring systems

>   support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.

Dictionaries prefer the two-word spelling "front end" whereas
developers tend to prefer "frontend"; since this isn't in section
devel I'll use my normal compromise of "front-end".

"It only uses PHP" isn't really accurate - it also uses RRDTool,
MySQL, and so on.  It seems to me this fact would fit in neatly as the
expression "PHP-driven" in the first sentence (a phrase I have no
objection to - I prefer it to "PHP-based" for a start).

The way it talks about creating and populating graphs and then
maintaining data sources and then data gathering also seems easy to
compress.

Why the capitalisation of Graphs, Data Sources, etc (and not rrdtool)?

Avoid "also" twice on one line.

I'd suggest:

    Cacti is a complete PHP-driven front-end for RRDTool. It stores all of
    the necessary data source information to create graphs, handles the data
    gathering, and populates the MySQL database with round-robin archives.
    It also includes SNMP support for those used to creating traffic graphs
    with MRTG.

> + installation host or a remotely accessible system.

That looks fine.  

(ObWhyTheName: some sort of reference to the way its graphs are
covered in spikes?)
-- 
JBR	with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian
	sysadmin, and probably no clue about this particular package
diff -ru cacti.old/cacti.templates cacti/cacti.templates
--- cacti.old/cacti.templates	2012-01-06 01:16:15.571695523 +0000
+++ cacti/cacti.templates	2012-01-06 01:19:41.311362179 +0000
@@ -2,8 +2,8 @@
 Type: select
 __Choices: Apache2, None
 Default: Apache2
-_Description: Webserver type
- Please select the webserver type for which cacti should be automatically
+_Description: Web server:
+ Please select the web server for which Cacti should be automatically
  configured.
  .
- Select "None" if you would like to configure your webserver by hand.
+ Select "None" if you would like to configure the web server manually.
diff -ru cacti.old/control cacti/control
--- cacti.old/control	2012-01-06 01:16:18.171695475 +0000
+++ cacti/control	2012-01-06 01:19:25.279362216 +0000
@@ -13,15 +13,12 @@
 Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | httpd, libapache2-mod-php5 | php5, php5-mysql, php5-cli, php5-snmp, virtual-mysql-client, rrdtool, snmp, libphp-adodb (>= 4.50-1), ucf, dbconfig-common (>= 1.8.8), ${misc:Depends}
 Recommends: mysql-server, iputils-ping, logrotate
 Suggests: php5-ldap
-Description: Frontend to rrdtool for monitoring systems and services
- Cacti is a complete frontend to rrdtool, it stores all of the necessary
- information to create graphs and populates them with data in a MySQL
- database.  The frontend is completely PHP driven.  Along with being able
- to maintain Graphs, Data Sources, and Round Robin Archives in a
- database, cacti handles the data gathering also.  There is also SNMP
- support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.
+Description: web interface for graphing of monitoring systems
+ Cacti is a complete PHP-driven front-end for RRDTool. It stores all of
+ the necessary data source information to create graphs, handles the data
+ gathering, and populates the MySQL database with round-robin archives.
+ It also includes SNMP support for those used to creating traffic graphs
+ with MRTG.
  .
  This package requires a functional MySQL database server on either the
- installation host or remotely accessible system.  If you do not already
- have a database server available, you should also install mysql-server.
- 
+ installation host or a remotely accessible system.

---

From: Mahyuddin Susanto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:56:28 +0700

hello Justin and Christian PERRIER

>>  Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | httpd, [...]

Yeah, this is absolute, i will move apache/web server depends to Suggest
because at this version we planned to support lighttpd/nginx

>     It also includes SNMP support for those used to creating traffic graphs

.
Thats fine.

Thanks

---

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 07:03:13 +0100

> >  Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | httpd, [...]

Oh, these should be removed. Leaving this up to maintainers, though.

> I'd suggest:

And, as usual, I nearly blindly copy/paste what Justin suggests and I
adopt it.

---

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 18:33:46 +0100

> because at this version we planned to support lighttpd/nginx

Well, what Justin wanted to enhance, I think, is that "apache",
"apache-ssl" and "apache-perl" are now obsolete packages.

---

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 07:18:47 +0100

This is the last call for comments for the review of debconf
templates for cacti.

The reviewed templates will be sent on Wednesday, January 18, 2012 to this bug report
and a mail will be sent to this list with "[BTS]" as a subject tag.

--

---

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:04:21 +0100

Dear Debian maintainer,

On Thursday, January 05, 2012, I notified you of the beginning of a review process
concerning debconf templates for cacti.

The debian-l10n-english contributors have now reviewed these templates,
and the final proposed changes are attached to this update to the
original bug report.

Please review the suggested changes, and if you have any
objections, let me know in the next 3 days.

However, please try to avoid uploading cacti with these changes
right now.

The second phase of this process will begin on Sunday, January 22, 2012, when I will
coordinate updates to translations of debconf templates.

The existing translators will be notified of the changes: they will
receive an updated PO file for their language.

Simultaneously, a general call for new translations will be sent to
the debian-i18n mailing list.

Both these calls for translations will request updates to be sent as
individual bug reports. That will probably trigger a lot of bug
reports against your package, but these should be easier to deal with.

The call for translation updates and new translations will run until
about Sunday, February 12, 2012. Please avoid uploading a package with fixed or changed
debconf templates and/or translation updates in the meantime. Of
course, other changes are safe.

Please note that this is an approximative delay, which depends on my
own availability to process this work and is influenced by the fact
that I simultaneously work on many packages.

Around Monday, February 13, 2012, I will contact you again and will send a final patch
summarizing all the updates (changes to debconf templates,
updates to debconf translations and new debconf translations).

Again, thanks for your attention and cooperation.

-- 

--- cacti.old/debian/cacti.templates	2012-01-01 10:28:46.039467059 +0100
+++ cacti/debian/cacti.templates	2012-01-19 08:04:03.138548407 +0100
@@ -1,9 +1,18 @@
+# These templates have been reviewed by the debian-l10n-english
+# team
+#
+# If modifications/additions/rewording are needed, please ask
+# [email-masked] for advice.
+#
+# Even minor modifications require translation updates and such
+# changes should be coordinated with translators and reviewers.
+
 Template: cacti/webserver
 Type: select
 __Choices: Apache2, None
 Default: Apache2
-_Description: Webserver type
- Please select the webserver type for which cacti should be automatically
+_Description: Web server:
+ Please select the web server for which Cacti should be automatically
  configured.
  .
- Select "None" if you would like to configure your webserver by hand.
+ Select "None" if you would like to configure the web server manually.
--- cacti.old/debian/control	2012-01-01 10:28:46.039467059 +0100
+++ cacti/debian/control	2012-01-06 07:02:01.057571865 +0100
@@ -13,15 +13,12 @@
 Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | httpd, libapache2-mod-php5 | php5, php5-mysql, php5-cli, php5-snmp, virtual-mysql-client, rrdtool, snmp, libphp-adodb (>= 4.50-1), ucf, dbconfig-common (>= 1.8.8), ${misc:Depends}
 Recommends: mysql-server, iputils-ping, logrotate
 Suggests: php5-ldap
-Description: Frontend to rrdtool for monitoring systems and services
- Cacti is a complete frontend to rrdtool, it stores all of the necessary
- information to create graphs and populates them with data in a MySQL
- database.  The frontend is completely PHP driven.  Along with being able
- to maintain Graphs, Data Sources, and Round Robin Archives in a
- database, cacti handles the data gathering also.  There is also SNMP
- support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.
+Description: web interface for graphing of monitoring systems
+ Cacti is a complete PHP-driven front-end for RRDTool. It stores all of
+ the necessary data source information to create graphs, handles the data
+ gathering, and populates the MySQL database with round-robin archives.
+ It also includes SNMP support for those used to creating traffic graphs
+ with MRTG.
  .
  This package requires a functional MySQL database server on either the
- installation host or remotely accessible system.  If you do not already
- have a database server available, you should also install mysql-server.
- 
+ installation host or a remotely accessible system.

---

From: Mahyuddin Susanto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:39:49 +0700

Hello Christian PERRIER,

> objections, let me know in the next 3 days.

I've review suggestion from l10-english and i have agreed with it.

Sean and Paul, what your suggest about this?

> Again, thanks for your attention and cooperation.

I have attached patch for new debconf templates. Thanks for your help!

-- 
[ Mahyuddin Susanto ] - http://udienz.web.id
GPG: 4096R/90B36C5B
Debian Maintainer & Ubuntu Developer
From bb7ab97ffd7233ab33a97e3802faabf9313ac915 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Mahyuddin Susanto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:29:15 +0700
Subject: [PATCH] Updated debconf template and package description, suggested
 by debian-l10n-english. 
 Signed-off-by: Mahyuddin Susanto <[email-masked]>

---
 debian/cacti.templates |    6 +++---
 debian/control         |   16 +++++++---------
 2 files changed, 10 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

diff --git a/debian/cacti.templates b/debian/cacti.templates
index 29bff52..54beff9 100644
--- a/debian/cacti.templates
+++ b/debian/cacti.templates
@@ -1,9 +1,9 @@
 Template: cacti/webserver
 Type: select
-__Choices: Apache2, Lighttpd, None/Others
+__Choices: Apache2, Lighttpd, None
 Default: Apache2
 _Description: Webserver type
- Please select the webserver type for which cacti should be automatically
+ Please select the webserver for which cacti should be automatically
  configured.
  .
- Select "None/Others" if you would like to configure your webserver by hand.
+ Select "None" if you would like to configure your webserver by manually.
diff --git a/debian/control b/debian/control
index 29692bb..8e63e84 100644
--- a/debian/control
+++ b/debian/control
@@ -29,14 +29,12 @@ Recommends: apache2 | lighttpd | nginx | httpd,
             logrotate,
             mysql-server
 Suggests: php5-ldap
-Description: Frontend to rrdtool for monitoring systems and services
- Cacti is a complete frontend to rrdtool, it stores all of the necessary
- information to create graphs and populates them with data in a MySQL
- database.  The frontend is completely PHP driven.  Along with being able
- to maintain Graphs, Data Sources, and Round Robin Archives in a
- database, cacti handles the data gathering also.  There is also SNMP
- support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.
+Description: web interface for graphing of monitoring systems
+ Cacti is a complete PHP-driven front-end for RRDTool. It stores all of
+ the necessary data source information to create graphs, handles the data
+ gathering, and populates the MySQL database with round-robin archives.
+ It also includes SNMP support for those used to creating traffic graphs
+ with MRTG.
  .
  This package requires a functional MySQL database server on either the
- installation host or remotely accessible system.  If you do not already
- have a database server available, you should also install mysql-server.
+ installation host or a remotely accessible system.
-- 
1.7.5.4

---

From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:06:32 +0100

> Sean and Paul, what your suggest about this?

I agree with the proposed texts.

Although on real close inspection, I would say that Cacti does
technically not "populate the MySQL database with round-robin archives."
So, just for the record, as far as I know, it just stores all the meta
info in the MySQL database, the real round-robin archives are separate
files on the file system.

Paul

---

From: sean finney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:42:59 +0100

Hi everyone,

Catching up here... please forgive me if I'm commenting on anything that's
no longer relevant.

> Avoid "your web server". This might not be "mine"..:)

Speeking of the 2nd person, should we also avoid "you" in that case?  i.e.

+ Select "None" to configure the web server manually.

> >  Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | httpd, [...]

Yeah, it's very obsolete.  I think it was left as a placeholder for
supporting newer httpd's when the support was added (either that or
I forgot and am only coming up with excuses now :)

>    Description: web interface for graphing of monitoring systems

That still sounds a little funny to me.  It's not graphing the monitoring
system, but the data collected by said system, right?  How about this as
a counter suggestion?

Description: web-based interface for graphing and monitoring diverse data

Not particularly attached to it or anyhting...

> objection to - I prefer it to "PHP-based" for a start).

No objection to either PHP-driven or PHP-based -- both are more accurate (not
worth mentioning but there are also shell scripts and even perl down in
the guts of this beast).  Aesthetically it's a bit ugly with
two hyphenated words on the same line, but I have nothing as a
counter-suggestion.

> because at this version we planned to support lighttpd/nginx

I disagree here: I think at most it should be Recommends and not Suggests,
but I'm not sure that even this is necessary (99% of cacti installations
probably need a packaged/installed web server).  

I'd suggest removing the obsolete options and replacing them with lighttpd
/ nginx once the support is added to the package, and likewise with the
control into adding the new alternate Dependencies and removing any cruft.

> files on the file system.

This is going from memory, but AFAIR it does store the data in the database,
and exports them into rrd files for more effeciently graphing them.
That's why the rrd files are in /var/cache, since they're supposedly
repopulatable from the rra data stored in mysql.

	sean

--

---

From: sean finney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:42:59 +0100

Hi everyone,

 

	sean

--

---

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:08:03 +0100

> Catching up here... please forgive me if I'm commenting on anything that's

Hmm, I was just about to send the call for translations. It's really
last minute.

OK, just to be sure, I'll extend the discussion time by 1 day..

> + Select "None" to configure the web server manually.

We usually don't try *that* hard to be neutral..:-)

After all, the debconf templates are read by a humain and "we" talk to
that human by saying him|her "You should do this". That sounds acceptable.

> I forgot and am only coming up with excuses now :)

Anyway, this is nearly out of the scope of these reviews that are
mostly meant to check the wording of descriptions not the Debianisms
in debian/control....though we sometimes catch some quirks like this
one.

So, leaving it up to you to fix this...

> > > +Description: web frontend for graphing systems and services monitoring data

.../...

I don't have a strong advice on other suggestions you made for the
package description. All of them make sense, imho.

My priority now are indeed the debconf templates and I suggest leaving
them as we reviewed them...just confirming that with you before
sending the call for translation updates.

---

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:08:03 +0100

.../...

---

From: Justin B Rye <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:39:12 +0000

>> Speeking of the 2nd person, should we also avoid "you" in that case?  i.e.

Avoiding the implication that the server is your personal property is
usually worth the effort; references to personal preferences are less
of a problem, but given the opportunity I try to avoid them too.  It
is possible that the reader would *like* to configure it one way but
site policy says something different.  Of course, even then you would
still probably prefer to configure it the way that lets you keep your
job...
 
>> + Select "None" to configure the web server manually.

So if I select "None", debconf won't configure the web server
automatically, it'll do it manually?  That's just enough of a
potential misunderstanding to make me stick with "if you would like".
 
>>>> +Description: web frontend for graphing systems and services monitoring data
[...]
>> Description: web-based interface for graphing and monitoring diverse data

That's the best I've seen so far.
-- 
JBR	with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian
	sysadmin, and probably no clue about this particular package