Subject: [Pkg-cacti-maint] New cacti release

From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 22:23:18 +0200

Hi Sean and Mahyuddin,

I think you have seen that I have been quite busy this weekend. I think
I can rap-up the changes that I did to the packaging of cacti, I just
pushed the to git. I would appreciate it if you had a look and comment.

I did not take a look yet at the changes in the code of cacti itself,
it's on the list. Also I started on trying to get cacti running in a
fakeroot, but so far I have problems getting the proper debconf questions.

I also saw that there are quite some bugs in Ubuntu related to
installation/removal of cacti failing on the automatic filling of the
mysql databases. I think that process needs a review. Probably goes
wrong if people don't read properly, but maybe we can get it more robust.

Note to self: one thing that I think of now (as I write this mail), is
that I need to update the postinst/postrm script to also use ufcr.

Paul

---

From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:56:34 +0200

Hi Mahyuddin and especially Sean as the creator of dbconfig-common,

I finally got a setup running where I can sort of properly test the
package for installation (Ubuntu 12.04 Beta running from USB stick, but
anyway). I found out that I need to add '$url_path = "/cacti/";' in the
include/config.php for Debian, but I actually want this in the
/etc/cacti/debian.php file. debian.php is handled by dbconfig-common,
which in the current setup only handles mysql settings, no additional
parameters. So I wonder what I should do. I see three possibilities:

1) patch include/config.php: not nice since it is unclear that the
system admin can overwrite this value in /etc/cacti/debian.php in case
his cacti instance is located in an other web url (this is additionally
to the apache conf)

2) change the current use of dbconfig-common to use a template instead
of letting it create the file completely by itself. I am not sure if
this works nicely with the template already available in case of
upgrades, but I expect that we can use similar behavior as currently in
cacti-spine.

3) add an additional source file in /etc/cacti/ for other options than
the mysql connection stuff.

Your opinion is much appreciated. I will update git shortly with my
additional changes so far, thus with this last issue still unfixed.

Paul