Subject: [Pkg-cacti-maint] license issue with cacti include/treeview

From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:15:38 +0200

Hi,

As you might have seen, I spotted a license issue in the
include/treeview directory. debian-legal recommended [1] notifying
upstream (I did that one month ago [2]) and one of three steps:
- remove the files if cacti still functions without (I am going to try
that today)
- create free alternative (I am not able to do this and upstream does
not yet seem to take action)
- Ask for a re-license of the problematic files.

I propose the following:
- File a bug against cacti in Debian stating this problem
- Request removal of cacti in stable as the current state of Cacti makes
it not distributable.
- Check if cacti works "good enough" without the files. I believe now
that this will be the case.
- Create repackaged free source file for cacti and upload to unstable

There are two (partial) alternatives:
- If cacti works without the files discuss with release managers if an
dfsg package can replace the current package in stable.
- Ask the license holder of the files to re-license, but I want
permission from cacti for that.

I like to hear your opinion.

Paul

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2012/05/msg00020.html
[2] http://bugs.cacti.net/view.php?id=2228