Subject: [Pkg-cacti-maint] Bug#702690: Latest deb still causes problem

From: Mike Brodbelt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 13:10:28 +0100

Hi,

I've just seen this bug crop up with the new deb, so I'm not convinced 
it's completely fixed.

FWIW, I manually rebuilt the deb from source on a squeeze host, as I 
wanted the newest available cacti package on my monitoring machine. 
AFAIK there are no binary components though, so I very much doubt this 
made any difference. On installing the new deb, I immediately had the 
same tree fail as described here.

When I looked into this bug, I relatively trivially fixed the issue by 
installing libjs-jquery-cookie and libjs-jquery from Squeeze backports. 
However, the current package lists these as "Recommends", and I think 
they need to become "Depends", as from what I can see the integration of 
the earlier patches in this bug means that the Cacti interface will not 
function correctly without system versions of these libraries installed.

Mike

---

From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 20:01:33 +0200

Hi Mike,

Do I understand you correctly that you say that the problem goes away
with installation of libjs-jquery-cookie and libjs-jquery? Than I think
you did not understand the original bug properly. Indeed
libjs-jquery-cookie and libjs-jquery are needed to use the javascript
functionality to fold the tree, but without them you have the html
equivalent tree (which you can't fold).

If the answer is "yes" than the bug is still closed. If the answer is
"no, even with libjs-jquery-cookie and libjs-jquery the grouping does
not work" than the bug should be reopened, but I then request a
screen-shot of how it goes wrong and if possible you can tell me how to
create a tree that fails.

Regarding the depends vs recommends, I really think the
libjs-jquery-cookie and libjs-jquery should be "recommends". Recommended
packages are installed by default in Debian since Squeeze. These libs
are not absolutely necessary for Cacti to function. If you don't install
recommended packages, you have chosen it yourself and you have to live
with the consequences. Cacti still works without libjs-jquery-cookie and
libjs-jquery, albeit the tree is less useful for large sites, but there
are other ways to navigate your graphs.

Paul

---

From: Mike Brodbelt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 09:36:23 +0100

> equivalent tree (which you can't fold).

When I installed the new package, I ended up with a non-functional tree. 
Installing libjs-jquery and libjs-jquery-cookie "solved" my issue, by 
making the javascript foldable tree work.

> create a tree that fails.

With libjs-jquery-cookie and libjs-jquery installed, the tree works. 
Without them installed, I get a non-working html tree - although I can 
see in the source that the links are there, clicking on the tree 
elements does not switch the main frame to display the correct graphs. I 
tested this in Firefox and Chrome to make sure it wasn't just a browser 
issue.

> packages are installed by default in Debian since Squeeze.

If it's intended to provide a working HTML tree without the js libs, I 
completely agree, "recommends" is just fine. My take on this was based 
on the fact that I ended up with a non functional install after the 
upgrade, and the javascript libs fixed my immediate problem.

Mike

---

From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 19:59:39 +0200

Hi Mike,

Sorry to say, but I can hardly believe that. The javascript does NOT
changes the links (at least it was never meant to do that). Please give
us a screenshot and a piece of html (the non working part) and the same
items (the URL) created by the javascript code.

Pul

---

From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 20:05:16 +0200

For what it is worth in this report, in the cacti forum [1] there is
also noise about this bug. It was also reported that the -4 package
fixed the bug for them.

Paul

[1] http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49630