Subject: [Pkg-cacti-maint] Bug#722889: cacti creates excessive logging about missing file - dependency needs fixing

From: Jeff Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:44:25 +0100

Package: cacti
Version: 0.8.8a+dfsg-5+deb7u2

Cacti fills up system logs with the following error every minute for 
every graph:

[Sat Sep 14 09:22:00 2013] [error] [client 192.168.100.63] File does not exist: /usr/share/javascript/jquery-cookie, referer:http://cacti.xxx.com/graph.php?local_graph_id=8&rra_id=all
[Sat Sep 14 09:22:01 2013] [error] [client 192.168.100.63] File does not exist: /usr/share/javascript/jquery-cookie, referer:http://cacti.xxx.com/graph.php?local_graph_id=8&rra_id=all

I suggest that the optional dependency on libjs-jquery-cookie be 
upgraded to a prerequisite.

Regards

Jeff

---

From: [email-masked] (Debian Bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:06:05 +0000

Your message dated Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:03:19 +0200
with message-id <[email-masked]>
and subject line Re: Bug#722889: cacti creates excessive logging about missing file - dependency needs fixing
has caused the Debian Bug report #722889,
regarding cacti creates excessive logging about missing file - dependency needs fixing
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact [email-masked]
immediately.)

-- 
722889: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=722889
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: cacti creates excessive logging about missing file - dependency needs fixing
From: Jeff Armstrong <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:44:25 +0100

Package: cacti

Regards

Jeff

Subject: Re: Bug#722889: cacti creates excessive logging about missing file - dependency needs fixing
From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:03:19 +0200

Version: 0.8.8a+dfsg-7

> Cacti fills up system logs with the following error every minute for

Solved properly, by checking if the file exists.

> upgraded to a prerequisite.

Just for the record, I don't agree that it is a hard prerequisite as
nearly all cacti functionality just works without it.

Paul

---

From: Jeff Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 10:35:43 +0100

Just to be clear - your note indicates that the problem has been solved 
in upstream,

but has the issue been resolved in the wheezy version?

Given that the next stable debian is probably a couple of years away, 
filling up root on single volume [v]hosts regularly is not sysops 
friendly for a stable distro.

On 14/09/2013 11:06, Debian Bug Tracking System wrote:
> This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
> which was filed against the cacti package:
>
> #722889: cacti creates excessive logging about missing file - dependency needs fixing
>
> It has been closed by Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>.
>
> Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
> If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
> better one in a separate message then please contact Paul Gevers <[email-masked]> by
> replying to this email.
>
>

---

From: Paul Gevers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:25:50 +0200

> Just to be clear - your note indicates that the problem has been solved

Not upstream, but in Debian, in a version of the packaging, so it is now
available in testing.

> but has the issue been resolved in the wheezy version?

No.

> friendly for a stable distro.

But unfortunately, I am unsure if this warrants a stable-release-update.
Especially since a "solution" is to just install an additional package.
Quoting from the developers-reference [1]:
"""
Basically, a package should only be uploaded to stable if one of the
following happens:

    a truly critical functionality problem

    the package becomes uninstallable

    a released architecture lacks the package
"""
You *might* argue that the first is the case, but you must be having a
lot of people viewing the cacti pages for it to fill up your volumes
and/or small volumes.

I could prepare a stable-release-update proposal, and we could see if
the release team allows this change to be incorporated in the next
stable point release. What do you think?

[1]
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-stable