Redesign of Common Lisp Controller
Desmond O. Chang
dochang at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 02:10:15 UTC 2010
Hi team members,
ASDF2 has been mature. C-L-C is basically a thin wrapper now. I plan
to remove some redundant features from c-l-c and related packages.
My goal is,
* About system management
This should be completely adopted by ASDF2, i.e.,
- Move all config files to cl-asdf.
- Remove clc-(un)register-user-package.
- Remove (un)register-common-lisp-implementation.
- Remove common-lisp-controller.lisp & post-sysdef-install.lisp.
- Remove the scripts in /usr/lib/common-lisp/bin/ (see below).
- Implementations don't install clc any more (see below).
- Libraries don't symlink asd file any more (see below).
* About image customizing
I don't know how many people are using it, but I think user should
maintain the images by him/herself. So this will be removed, i.e.,
- Remove clc-update-customized-images
- Remove (un)register-common-lisp-source
* About clbuild
Personally I don't like clbuild. I think a library installer such as
clbuild should work in user space, you can put its code in a directory
like ~/bin. So clbuild will be removed.
But you can upload clbuild as a new package if you want.
* About /etc/lisp-config.lisp
Is it useful? Now it just configures site name and clisp doesn't load
it at all.
Is it necessary to provide a "common" config facility for the
* About implementations
If a implementation has included ASDF2, it doesn't need to depend on
cl-asdf or c-l-c. Otherwise it must (pre)depend on cl-asdf.
Maintainer may load ASDF2 and dump a new image in postinst or load
ASDF2 in config file.
/usr/lib/common-lisp/bin/<impl>.sh will be useless and removed.
For compatibility, implementations may depend on c-l-c first, but no
longer install c-l-c. Finally, this dependency will be removed.
* About libraries
Libraries don't need to depend c-l-c and just suggests or recommends
For compatibility, libraries may depend on c-l-c first, but do nothing
on it. Finally, this dependency will be removed.
That's all. Please tell me your opinion.
I will create a new branch in the repo. You can follow the
More information about the pkg-common-lisp-devel