[php-maint] [PHP-DEV] Uploading 5.4 RC to unstable (Was: Upcoming transition of php5 to 5.4)

Lior Kaplan lior.k at zend.com
Wed Feb 1 11:24:42 UTC 2012

Hi Ondřej,

I'd wait for RC7 in any case, and with some luck it will be the final RC
for 5.4.0.

With my Debian hat on, I would wait for the official release, as to
minimize the noise we'll get in Debian from testing RCs. The recent RCs
all had some major issues fixed/changed in them (which is better to test
with dedicated people than the general users of Debian).


On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 11:11 +0100, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hi,
> I was thinking that it could be a good idea (after current version migrates
> to testing) to upload 5.4RCx to unstable to begin work on transition as soon
> as possible. RC releases should have stable API(?), so application wise
> there's no problem. I'll fill a release critical bug in our BTS, so
> the 5.4 version
> don't migrate to testing and close it with stable 5.4.0 release.
> Ccing PHP internals to let them know and ask if it is a good idea (the 5.4RC
> will be probably used by more people when uploaded to Debian unstable, i.e.
> it means more testing, but also more bugreports).
> O.
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>
> Date: Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 08:40
> Subject: Upcoming transition of php5 to 5.4
> To: Debian Release <debian-release at lists.debian.org>
> Hi,
> this is just a heads up that we would like to ship wheezy with php5 5.4
> which is in upstream RC phase now (and in debian-experimental).
> It introduce a couple of incompatible changes (for a full list see attached
> UPGRADING file), most notably (not listing minor changes and added features):
> - default charset is now utf-8
> - magic_quotes are deprecated (with warning)
> - safe_mode and register_globals was removed
> - three new reserved words: callable, insteadof and trait
> - multibyte support is now default
> - removed syntax (break $var, continue $var)
> - sqlite(1) extension was removed (already done in php5.3 in Debian)
> I am inclined to let the current php5 in unstable to transition to testing
> and then upload next 5.4.0 RC to unstable with transition blocking bug,
> so we can start testing existing software as soon as possible.
> I also plan to provide "official" backports for Debian squeeze, so people
> can come and test new php5.4 before they upgrade to wheezy.
> Final note: We already had similar transitions in php (4->5, 5.2->5.3, etc.),
> so it's not really a big deal, but it will require some amount of work hence
> this email.
> Ondrej
> P.S.: Please Cc: me as I am not subscribed to the list (but I do check
> the web archives).
> --
> Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>
> -- 
> Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>

More information about the pkg-php-maint mailing list