Bug#492450: dpkg-divert: rename involves overwriting (...) not allowed

James Vega jamessan at debian.org
Sun Aug 10 03:28:07 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 11:36:49PM -0300, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi!
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 10:49 PM, James Vega <jamessan at debian.org> wrote:
> > Make sure there are no /usr/share/vim/vim71 or /usr/share/vim/vim72*
> > directories remaining.
> I won't do this now because I think that the problem is there.
> Without any vim* packages installed, I still have this:
> $ ls -l /usr/share/vim/vim71/doc
> total 276
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   8010 Mai  4 16:39 help.txt
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 268893 Mai  4 16:39 tags
> They are supposed to be from some vim* package, right? But they aren't
> (at least on my system).

On a fresh system, they are provided by vim-tiny and (up until
7.1.314-1) vim-runtime Replaced them.  Those files are from the
vim-runtime package as the ones provided in vim-tiny are smaller.

In 7.1.314-1, I changed the packaging so those files were handled by
diversions instead of having vim-runtime Replace vim-tiny.  This was
done because I had naïvely overlooked the scenario that someone may
uninstall vim-runtime but leave vim-tiny installed, in which case they
would have no help files.  Using diversions addresses this because when
vim-runtime is removed, vim-tiny's help.txt and tags are no longer being
diverted by vim-runtime's and become available again.

It looks like you still have the help.txt and tags from
vim-runtime_7.1.293-3, which is what I was using as a starting point
when trying to reproduce this bug.

The initial versions of the diversion handling that was in Vim's
maintainer scripts was a bit more clever (fragile? ;) than it needed to
be since dpkg-divert didn't properly handle diversions in yet-to-be
created directories.

One thing I toyed with (but didn't actually include in a released
package), was to remove the help.txt/tags files if diversions were being
setup for the first time.  The comment I had at the time was that this
was needed to make sure the proper files were diverted.

I'll take another look at the bug and make sure to start at a version
pre-7.1.314-1 and upgrade a package at a time.  Although, if this is a
problem that only occurs by tracking unstable and not by tracking
testing, I may close the bug.  I did a number of relatively quick
uploads to sort out the diversion code, so if the broken package wasn't
available for long, manually cleaning up the mess for the few people
that were affected is safer than overcomplicating maintainer scripts for
something that isn't wide-spread.

GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan at debian.org>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-vim-maintainers/attachments/20080809/629101aa/attachment.pgp 

More information about the pkg-vim-maintainers mailing list