[pkg-wine-party] Bug#585409: Bug#585409: Too ambitious!

Stefano Zacchiroli leader at debian.org
Sun Apr 15 08:35:22 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 01:59:19PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> 1.1.42 is now up at http://people.debian.org/~mgilbert
> Ok, so I've been doing this for a week now, and it's gone fairly well
> except for the days that I was simply too busy with other things.
> Anyway, continuing at this rate, 1.2 should be achievable in less than
> a month.  Although if I could have pushed these changes directly to
> unstable, it would be more like 3 weeks instead of 4.

Thanks a lot for your work, Michael.

> So, I would like to again make a sincere request for commit access to
> the pkg-wine git repo and an ack to upload to unstable so I can really
> get this thing going for real.
> Stefano, as you can see, lack of interaction from Ove continues to be
> a significant barrier to progress in this package.  We would like take
> you up on your offer to request that the alioth admins accept mine and
> Stephen's request for commit access to pkg-wine if that seems
> reasonable.

First of all let me put things straight: by chiming in this thread it
was not my intention to override Ove as package maintainer (nor I
could). I've chimed in under the *impression* that Ove was (temporarily)
MIA and I wanted to mention the possibility of asking Alioth admins to
grant the commit access, in case that was blocking the work of others.
Since then, Ove has replied <4F733456.6060801 at arcticnet.no> making clear
he is definitely not MIA.

As he is the package maintainer, he has all the rights to set his own
policy. If people want to challenge his choices, there are other ways to
do so. But it will be better for everybody if you all could find ways to
work together, and it doesn't seem hard to do so.

My reading of Ove's mail in this buglog is that he wanted specific
packaging things to be done before proceeding with a new upstream
release upload, and as a condition to grant commit access to the Git
repository. Ove: can you confirm that? Given that both you and Stephen
are fairly active (thanks a bunch for it!), it shouldn't be hard to meet
those requirements and enlarge the maintenance team so that nobody is
blocked anymore.

All in all, it seems to me there is quite some progress on this issue.
How about continuing this way? I suggest doing work in some Git
repository of yours, so that once you get access to the team repository
it is just a matter of pushing some refs and you're all set.  I
understand there might be concerns of timing, due to the nearing of the
freeze date. But it seems to me you can also work-around that by the
usual mechanisms, e.g. a very long DELAYED upload giving Ove the time to

Stefano Zacchiroli     zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} . o .
Maître de conférences   ......   http://upsilon.cc/zack   ......   . . o
Debian Project Leader    .......   @zack on identi.ca   .......    o o o
« the first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club »
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 828 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-wine-party/attachments/20120415/9d346cb6/attachment.pgp>

More information about the pkg-wine-party mailing list