[Po4a-devel]Encoding options

Pierre Machard pmachard@debian.org
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:57:27 +0200

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:28:22AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
[...]
> >  - if it's not valid UTF8, refuse to process until being given what it =
is
> > For translations:
> >  - if not specified, suppose it's the same than the one in translated p=
art
> >    of the po file
>=20
> There is a problem I did not think about before, few English man pages
> contain non-ASCII characters, like euro-test in Debian.  PO files have
> then to be UTF-8 encoded, and generated man pages will also be UTF-8
> encoded which is not the expected result, at least in Debian.
> The easy solution is to use escaped sequences (see groff_char(7))
> instead of ISO-8859-1 characters, and hope that a similar solution
> is always available.  Then documentation should clearly state which
> encoding can be used for original documents, depending on their format.

That was the initial reason for filling this bug (About non existing
-M). My po-files were in UTF-8 but I wanted ISO-8859-1 for manpages.

Perhaps the best thing would be to remove the -M option. After all, one
can still use msgconv.

Cheers,
--=20
                                Pierre Machard
<pmachard@debian.org>                                 http://debian.org
GPG: 1024D/23706F87 : B906 A53F 84E0 49B6 6CF7 82C2 B3A0 2D66 2370 6F87

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--