[Po4a-devel]Broken encoding in http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/it/po4a.7.html

Danilo Piazzalunga danilopiazza@libero.it
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:01:25 +0200

Alle 19:10, gioved=EC 12 agosto 2004, Martin Quinson ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I was admiring the new translation and trying to read it (without really
> speaking italian) when I discovered some encoding issues. It looks like
> UTF8 chars handled by a non utf-ready tool.

In the Html you can see things such as:
"Perché" instead of "Perch=E9"

> After some investigation, it's possible that the corruption comes from the
> po file itself.
[...]
> it's even possible that the po file is clean but my less is broken.

The PO itself is clean. Recode doesn't complain. Try "LANG=3DC less <file>"=
 and=20
you will see that the PO is really UTF-8.

Likely, some tool dealing with manpages expect them to use the ISO-8859-1=20
charset. I already had a similar experience: one UTF-8 page looked fine whe=
n=20
viewed directly (man ./foo.1), but when insalled and viewed with "man 1 foo=
"=20
it showed the same problem.

The files could be recoded to either ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15, but the rea=
l=20
problem lies elsewere.

Cheers,
	Danilo

=2D-=20
Danilo Piazzalunga <danilopiazza@libero.it> +--------------------+
GPG Key available at http://pgp.mit.edu     | Linux User #245762 |
=46ingerprint: D018 815E 8C7F 2AE2 5565       | ICQ #105550412     |
             0C36 B5F6 DB20 B800 CB9F       +--------------------+