[Po4a-devel]Encoding stuff breaks po4a(1)

Jordi Vilalta jvprat@wanadoo.es
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:53:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Martin Quinson wrote:

> We need a way to pass the charsets values on the command line or within the
> config file (or boths).
>
> The command line approach is trivial if we're ok to have the same encoding
> for all files. The config file is not very difficult under the same
> assumtion.

This can be an easy solution for a near release.

> If we remove this assumption, it becomes more difficult. Very difficult
> indeed, check the code of po4a.

For future releases we should go through this approach. As I said some
days ago:

> This would also take to a redesign of the po4a config files, since we need
> to specify more information there. This could be done together with the
> TransTractor redesign explained in the "Future directions" section. Well,
> we should leave all this for a future release... but we should begin
> thinking about it ;)

When dealing with... say 10 languages, and for each file of each language
you need to specify the output file, the output encoding and one or more
addendums (maybe something more in the future), this makes long lines in
the config file, very hard to deal with.

I think we should separate all this in lang-file blocks to make it more
clear, and together with this, think on how to pack all this information
to pass it to the "new" transtractor.

By now, use the first approach and document the current limitation (we
have to release this week ;)

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta