[Po4a-devel]man module: .IP's designator should be translatable

Martin Quinson mquinson@ens-lyon.fr
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:36:00 -0700

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:58:07PM +0200, Nicolas Fran=E7ois wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> In the useradd.8 manpage, there is the following groff lines:
>=20
> .IP "\fB-c \fIcomment\fR"
> The new user's password file comment field.
> .IP [...]
>=20
> At this time, the designator is only translatable if the indentation is
> set (second argument to the .IP macro).

Well, according to man(7), this is an error in the man page.=20
=2EIP x i  Indented paragraph with optional hanging tag.  If the tag x is
         omitted, the  entire  following paragraph is indented by i.  If the
         tag x is provided, it is hung at the left margin before the
         following indented paragraph (this is just like .TP except the tag
         is included with the command instead of being on the following
         line).  If the tag is too long, the text after the tag will be
         moved down to the next line (text will not be lost or garbled).
         For bulleted lists, use this macro with \(bu (bullet) or \(em (em
         dash) as the tag, and for numbered lists, use the number or letter
         followed by a period as the tag; this simplifies translation to
         other formats.

So, the optional argumenent here is x, not i. So for pages sticking to the
definition of IP, we will translate numbers.=20

Wait... wait...

God damn it! man(7) seems superseeded by groff_man(7)! And of course,
groff_man(7) says exactly the contrary. Hooow, roff will drive me nuts.

Ok, patch applyied, thanks.=20

Bye, Mt.

--=20
Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be
maintained.
          -- The Tao of programming

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP--