[Po4a-devel] translate.org.za: a project quite similar to po4a

Denis Barbier barbier@linuxfr.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:40:27 +0100

Hi,

a post by Christian Perrier on debian-i18n made me go to
   http://translate.org.za/

]  Translate.org.za is a non-profit organisation producing Free and Open
]  Source software that enables and empowers South Africans. The
]  Translate Project started in 2001 with the vision of providing Free
]  Software translated into the 11 official languages of South Africa.

A news item on their main page tells:

] September 27, 2004
]
] OOoCon - The OpenOffice.org conference in Berlin
]
]    Translate.org.za attended OOoCon 2004which was held in Berlin from the
]    22 to 24 of September.
]
]    Our goal was to raise the issues of localisation and the frustrations
]    that we experience working with the OpenOffice,org project. Dwayne
]    presented a paper on Translate.org.za - our tools goals and
]    philosophy.
]
]    It was very important that we were there - we met with partners in the
]    Khmer team and completed work on some of the Translate Toolkit. Most
]    people within the OpenOffice community think the OpenOffice.org is
]    managing localisation quite well - we were able to give them a
]    translators view of that assumption. People are listening and there
]    are some changes that will hopefully feature in OpenOffice.org 2.0
]    that will make it easier to produce and use translated version of
]    OpenOffice.org

They develop tools similar to po4a (see <URL:http://translate.sf.net/>)
and currently support Mozilla and OpenOffice.org formats.

Their website has many very useful tips and documentation, e.g. I liked
  http://sf.net/projects/gettextlog/
which is a program to log calls to gettext when programs are run, in
order to determine which msgids are seldom displayed and can be ignored
at first.

Denis