[Po4a-devel]Re: [Translate-devel] Presentation of the po4a project

David Fraser davidf@sjsoft.com
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:16:47 +0200

Martin Quinson wrote:

>[please keep both lists in the loop]
>
>Hello,
>
>my attention was just bought to the Translate project. As member of the po4a
>team, I find this very interesting.
>
>As the documentation over http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/ says,
>
>  the po4a (po for anything) project goal is to ease translations (and more
>  interestingly, the maintenance of translations) using gettext tools on
>  areas where they were not expected like documentation.
>
>The Translate homepage over sourceforge says that :
>
>  the Translate package brings the translation format tools closer to the
>  goal of providing a seemless method of converting the various translation
>  formats. Currently the tools manage the conversion of Mozilla and
>  OpenOffice to the Gettext format. Also included are tools to convert PO to
>  CSV to allow translators to use wordprocessors to perform the
>  translations.
>

>At the first glance, I'd say that there is a bunch of functionalities in
>common in both projects. The main differences are the targeted formats. For
>now, po4a has working modules for sgml (both DebianDoc and Docbook DTD), XML
>(a bunch of DTDs), groff (for man pages), pod (for the perl documentation),
>and the documentation strings of the 2.4.x kernels. Another difference is
>that po4a is in perl while Translate is in python. :)

Yes great to see that you guys are handling these documentation formats
as the projects clearly focus on similar ends (gettextization) but you
have focussed on documentation and we have focussed on UI.

>From there on, I dunno exactly what to say. This mail is meant as a sort of
>"hello".

Hello! Molo! Bonjour!

>For example, I would like to take the code of your converters for Moz et OO
>formats, and change them to po4a modules. Is it ok for you guys? What is the
>licence of those codes? po4a is GPL, is it ok when I relicence your code to
>GPL?

translate is also GPL and you're welcome to do what you want with them.
But be careful we may like to take your perl code and convert it to
Python too :-)
We basically have modules that handle the various formats
(translate.storage.dtd / po / properties / oo etc) and then conversion
modules in translate.convert.* that handle other things. Some of it is
quite intricate (e.g. dealing with xpi files which contain zips of zips)

>I really hope that we will be able to coordinate our forces in the future...

Definitely. Let us know if you do want to try anything and how you
fare... glad to hear about your project

David