[Po4a-devel][patch] Making Html.pm (slightly) better

Martin Quinson martin.quinson@imag.fr
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 05:36:44 +0100

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 05:37:31PM +0000, Yves Rutschle wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> It looks like my spare time has shrunk further, hence my
> long silence. Martin's last comments, and my spending some
> time reading Sgml.pm and Xml.pm, along with running into
> harder files from my site, have me almost convinced that
> Martin is right and Html.pm is going the wrong way.

Good point ;)

> Here is the patch to it that I currently use. This brings it
> to state in which it is useful for "simple" files (i.e.
> files with simple paragraphs, little in-line formatting),
> which I think still is useful for sites that contain a lot
> of simple text (how-to's, for example, would be good
> candidates if they used html as their primary format).

AFAIK, they use sgml or xml, but I understand what you mean

> It doesn't change the fundamentals of its working, so all of
> Martin's objections still hold true. Rather, it fixes the
> module's shortcomings:
> * Paragraphs are now spit along paragraphs, instead of
>   random 512-byte-aligned boundaries,
> * title and alt attribute contents now create msgids.

This does not makes me think about including this module as is in the next
release, but I agree that these changes should be commited. There is no net
in these train. Please someone, commit this.

> I hope to get some time to play with Sgml.pm and Xml.pm soon
> (because, let's face it, it's much more fun than actually
> doing translations).

100% agreed :)
Mt.

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j