[Po4a-devel]Re: Translating NEWS.Debian files: a (crude) first try

Nicolas François nicolas.francois@centraliens.net
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:57:15 +0100

Hi

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:18:12PM +0100, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > While moving common parts of the scripts to this module, I've found an
> > undocumented option in the po4a script: split. What does it do? It adds a
> > big amount of code. Should it be documented or is it there just for testing?
>
> No, it's an attempt to keep all the strings in separate po files,
> corresponding each to a given master file. But after this try, I realized
> that it is impossible to merge the files back after a modification. I cannot
> guess which of the proposed translations is the old one and which is the
> brand new reviewed one. So, we have to put all translations in the same po
> file (and kill this dead code).

I concur.
For some manpages translations, I was asked to split the big PO in smaller
ones.  I used a small script to split, and merged with msgmerge -N (but
had to manually check the results after re-splitting).
Splitting may be convenient, but the merge is error prone and has to be
done manually.

--
Nekral