[Po4a-devel]'msgid skipped' warnings

Martin Quinson martin.quinson at loria.fr
Sat Jul 23 05:58:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:47:39AM +0200, Francois Gouget wrote:

> I'm a annoyed by the 'msgid skipped' warnings for two reasons:
>
>  1) they don't give me any line information so I have no way of
> checking the source Sgml file to verify whether po4a did the right thing
> or not. This makes them completely useless.
>
>  2) I can understand po4a-updatepo issuing this warning but should
> po4a-translate really issue this warning too?
>

> I have fixed issue 1 by including the reference in the warning.

It looks like you forgot to attach the patch, didn't you?

> An alternative would be to issue this warning only once and to tell the
> user to set the 'include-all' option if he wants to get all the msgids.
>

> I'm dithering on issue 2. Initially I thought po4a-translate had no
> reason to issue this warning since it's not generating a po file. But
> then if the po file contains 'translations' for these msgids but
> po4a-translate skips them anyway you'd probably want to know.
>
> Maybe the solution to issue 2 is to be able to set 'include-all=no' to
> indicate that you know some msgids are being skipped and you don't want
> to see the warning.
>
> Then maybe this means the right solution to issue 1 is really to only
> issue the warning once and point the user to the 'include-all' option.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Well, I completely agree on 1), but I'm really unsure about 2). Why should
warnings be a bad thing?

If you insist, we can show the first one in any case and the further ones
only when the verbosity is high enough. That to say that I agree, these
warnings may be verbose. But verbosity is good sometimes...

Bye, Mt.