[Po4a-devel]Winedocs and Po4a dependencies

Denis Barbier barbier@mp4h.org
Thu, 26 May 2005 23:40:27 +0200

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 07:49:44PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 05:52:39PM +0200, Francois Gouget wrote:
[...]
> >  * Text::WrapI18N (perl module)
> >    Pure perl (so easy to check in) but depends on Text::CharWidth which
> > is not pure perl.
> >    Provided by libtext-wrapi18n-perl on Debian. Found no RPM packages
> > providing it.
> >
> >    Text::WrapI18N was not used in po4a 0.16.2. I initially thought it
> > was used to wrap the text being output to the .po and .sgml files but in
> > fact it seems to only be used to print messages, warnings and errors.
> > Why is it needed? Doesn't a simple print work fine?
>
> This module becomes important when you want to wrap CKJ languages
> (japaneese, corean), which don't have any spaces, if I understood well. So
> finding where you can cut the sentence properly is not as easy as in, say,
> french.
>
> So, actually, we *ought* to use it all around the place. Maybe through a
> wrapper such as the one you propose for gettext...

AFAICT this module is only useful to print error messages, so this is
all about cosmetics and a wrapper (no, this one does not wrap lines ;))
should be fine.  When this module is not present, no wrapping is performed.

Jordi, is it fine by you?

[...]
> >  * nsgmls (command line tool)
> >    Needed by po4a to parse the Sgml files.
> >    Provided by sp on Debian, sgml-tools or openjade on Mandrake and
> > Fedora Core, opensp on SUSE.
> >
> >    This is an essential part of po4a. So it will have to remain as a
> > dependency which is reasonable.
>
> Actually, I'd like since a long time to kill this one, changing it to an
> home-made parser such as the one used in xml or so...

I thought you had no time ;)

Denis