[Po4a-devel]Winedocs and Po4a dependencies

Francois Gouget fgouget@codeweavers.com
Sun, 29 May 2005 01:45:56 +0200

Martin Quinson wrote:
[...]
>>My next question has to do with the wrapper implementation. I did not
>>check it out in details but it seems like it works on the multibyte
>>string. Wouldn't it be possible to implement a wrapper using the Perl
>>5.8 Unicode support?
>
> Maybe. But this version is not really widespread yet, is it?

Actually it is quite widespread. It ships with Debian testing, RedHat >=
8.0, all Fedora Core obviously, SuSE >= 8.2, Mandrake >= 9.1 and maybe
even some older versions of these distributions.

But the point is moot since po4a already depends on the Encode module:
it's used in Man.pm, Po.pm, Text.pm and TransTractor.pm. I think this
means po4a already depends on perl 5.8 but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, the Encode module is the one that's needed for the
implementation I sketched.

 > If you come up
> with a working implementation of that (I'm really bad at such issues and
> leave Denis or Jordi answer), you could test whether we are using perl >=
> 5.8 and if not, fallback to libtext-wrap18n-perl, couldn't you?

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can come up with a working implementation.
I'd have to look at WrapI18N in more details first. I'm sure I'm missing
something.
Also the problem if I did come up with something is that I don't know
enough about CKJ languages to actually verify my implementation would
work with them.

> You could also not wrap anything when the dependency isn't there. As temp
> solution, it would perfectly work, I guess.

Yes, that seems like a much easier target. I'll try that first <g>.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget@codeweavers.com