[Po4a-devel] Re: perldoc 2.0 - International Perl Documentation

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Mon Oct 16 17:20:25 UTC 2006

Hello Jörgen,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 05:53:48PM +0200, joergen_lang at gmx.de wrote:

> thank you for you answer. I am currently setting up the sourceforge site
> for the project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/perldoc2). I have
> decided to use po4a internally for the conversion from .pod to .po(t)
> and back. Now I have to find a way of connecting this to the CVS. Do you
> have any ideas?
>
> Unfortunately answers to my initial mailing are only coming back very
> slowly. But maybe that's just my own eagerness and impatience to get
> this project off the ground... ;o)

Sorry. I wanted to answer.

Basically, I want to support you, either for the use of po4a or for the
French translation.

regarding po4a, I recommend importing the original perl documentation
in the CVS (this way you indicate the versions you support for the
translation), then create a po4a config file or some scripts that call
po4a-gettextize/po4a-trabslate (I don't know what will be the most
efficient way; The specific part of the Perl docuemntation is that there
are a lot of files).

You will also have to see whether you support the translation of multiple
versions of the documentation at the same time.
Having scripts that extract the specific part of some versions and the
common parts is not an issue (I'm talking about that because some
translators may want to only translate/focus on one specific version).

A CVS repository could look like:

/
  upstream
    version1
    version2
  po4a
    Makefile/po4a config file
    po/
    add_<lang1> (directory for the addenda)
    add_<lang2>
  translations
    <lang1>/...empty directory for the generated translation...
               (I'm not sure keeping the translations in the repository
               is a good idea)

Instead of the po directory, you could also have something like:
po/common   (strings that appear in at least two versions)
  /version1 (strings that only appear in version1)
  /version2

(This is a first thought. I'm CCing the po4a development list in case
somebody have another idea)

My available time will be quite short this week. It should be better with
the week-end.

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral