[Po4a-devel] Translatable attributes in HTML

Kaloian Doganov kaloian at doganov.org
Thu Aug 9 10:36:19 UTC 2007

Nicolas François <nicolas.francois at centraliens.net> writes:

    When po4a parses the master file, it reads the other files when
    they are included and includes the file in the generated
    translation (i.e.  the generated file will not have #include
    stanza).  Is it a problem?

Yes, it is a problem.  The new option `includessi' may be useful in
some cases, but it's not what we need.  We really don't want the
strings from other files to be included in the generated .pot-file.
The point of using those included files in the first place is:

 1. to separate the repeatable parts, so that the pages can become
    more manageable;

 2. to make the actual text of the articles independend of the
    navigational menus and other items around them; we don't want to
    update all translations of all articles on the site just because
    the webmaster adds a new item in the navigation menu.

So, we would like to keep included files like "www/server/banner.html"
separately and translate them separately from the articles that
includes them.

Yves Rutschle <debian.anti-spam at rutschle.net> writes:

    This is what we went through when we moved to using Xhtml.pm. The
    goal being that every file is individually well-formed, and you
    only ever include entire sections.

Sounds reasonable, but this way we cannot keep the simple paradigm:

    <!--#include virtual="/header.html" -->
    main text
    <!--#include virtual="/footer.html" -->

I'm not convinced it's worth breaking it.

I understand that it is reasonable for the xhtml module to expect a
well-formed input and I'm far from urging for changing this.  We're
still at an early prototype stage and we'll continue to experiment
before making any conclusions about 1) what should be changed on our
system and 2) how we want our tools to behave.

--
Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at