[Po4a-devel] Turning off wrapping for a specific XHTML tag

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Mon Jan 14 00:42:06 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 09:11:48PM +0200, kaloian at doganov.org wrote:
> Using po4a to process XHTML documents, I have to turn of wrapping for a
> specific XHTML tag (<script>) still considering the containing text as
> translatable.  Po4a's Xml module provides a way to specify this using
> the `W' character in the `tags' option:
>
>    -o "tags=W<script>"
>
> Unfortunately this leads to skipping the containing text of <script> as
> non-translatable.  I can avoid this by adding `tagsonly' option, but
> this way I practically have to list all possible XHTML tags in `tags',
> just to turn off wrapping for one of them.
>
> It would be much easier if there was a way to specify this wrap-flag
> individually for a tag, without having to deal with global
> skipping/non-skipping of all mentioned tags.

I agree that the current options are not intuitive and probably do not
permit what users want.

I will try to provide another set of options to configure the Xml module
(and derivative).

The idea could be to support options like:

  -o translated="<tag1> w<tag2> W<tag3> <tag4><tag5> i<tag6> I<tag7>"
  -o verbatim="<tag8> <tag9><tag10>"
(And remove any tag from tags or inline lists if it is specified by one of
these options)

The major issue is to provide backward compatibility and not to clutter
the code to much.

  -o tags="..." and -o tagsonly should be deprecated, but still supported
  for a few years.

I hope this will be more powerful and more clear.

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral