[Po4a-devel] po4a with xml ISO ents

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Sat Apr 4 15:05:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:08:59PM +0800, dongsheng.song at gmail.com wrote:

> The following two is equivalent:

>     <para>A: Many of our customers want to know how they can
>       maximize productivity through our patented office groupware
>       innovations.  The answer is simple.  First, click on the
>       <literal>File</literal> menu, scroll down to
>       <literal>Increase&#xA0;Productivity</literal>,
>       then&#x2026;</para>

>     <para>A: Many of our customers want to know how they can
>       maximize productivity through our patented office groupware
>       innovations.  The answer is simple.  First, click on the
>       <literal>File</literal> menu, scroll down to
>       <literal>Increase&nbsp;Productivity</literal>,
>       then&hellip;</para>
>
> But po4a can't think so, since po4a can't understand ISO XML entity:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xml-ISOents.txt

I think that would be too complex to support this.

I'm not sure it would solve completely your problem, which is caused by
using different source files for po4a-updatepo and po4a-translate.

It could be useful to ease the reuse of translations, but the effort and
impact on performances might be too high.

> >> When I run po4a-updatepo, I can use 'includeexternal'. But when I run
> >> po4a-translate, I must
> >> run for each xml files.
> >
> > You should always use the same options for po4a-updatepo and
> > po4a-translate.
>
> I have many source xml, book.xml include those xmls use external entity.
> I can use '-o includeexternal' for issue a po4a-updatepo command only.
>
> But when I run 'po4a-translate', what's the recommanded method?
> I must run po4a-updatepo for every source xml. If I run po4a-updatepo
> to the pretreatment result[1], I run into ISO xml entity issues with po4a.

If you run
  po4a-updatepo -f docbook -o includeexternal -m en/source/book.xml -p l.po

Then you should run
  po4a-translate -f docbook -o includeexternal -m en/source/book.xml -p l.po -l l.xml

Doesn't it work?

If you wan to use xmllint (but I don't recommend it), then you should run
po4a-updatepo on the normalized file (output of xmllint). Otherwise you
will have more problems than ISO entities (for example issues with spaces)

Best Regards,
--
Nekral