[Po4a-devel] New release coming soon

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu May 17 10:48:03 UTC 2012

On 12-05-17 at 10:43am, D. Barbier wrote:
> > I didn't uploaded them yet because I have a doubt: when I build po4a
> > on my host, it uses Module::Build 0.40 from libmodule-build-perl,
> > but when I build the Debian package in a clean chroot (with
> > pbuilder), it uses Module::Build 0.38 from perl-modules (despite the
> > explicit libmodule-build-perl build-dependency, that is indeed
> > installed during the build process). As a consequence, the Debian
> > package build fails (using the “old” Module::Build 0.38, while
> > expecting the 0.40 version).
> >
> > As a workaround, I removed libmodule-build-perl from my machine,
> > built po4a with Module::Build 0.38, and build the Debian package in
> > pbuilder.
> >
> > I wonder if the libmodule-build-perl added eight years ago still
> > make sense (maybe perl-modules didn't shipped it back then). Maybe
> > should we simply remove it from the build-dependencies (even
> > Build-Conflicts-Indep on it maybe)? I have no idea how to force its
> > use in a clean chroot, but it could be another option.
>
> Hello David,
>
> Thanks for working on this.  The problem is that perl-modules provides
> libmodule-build-perl, so a conflict is not possible.  IMO there is
> nothing to do, you only have to uninstall libmodule-build-perl from
> your machine.

If the issue is only uncertainty and the older Module::Build is ok to
use, then use versioned build-conflict which affects the real package
but not the virtual one provided by perl-modules.

If the issue is that the newer version has actual benefits for this
packaging, I suggest asking on the debian-perl mailinglist or IRC
chatroom for suggestions how to enforce that.

If the conclusion is that use of the newer version is not enforcable,
I guess a bug should be filed for its removal from Debian :-P

 - Jonas