[Po4a-devel] Length of messages

Anders Nawroth anders at neotechnology.com
Mon Sep 24 12:43:13 UTC 2012

Hi!

> Thank you so much for your quick response. I understand what you mean, but I
> have not been clear on what the real problem is. For every new version of
> Ubuntu we rewrite/revise our manual. All translations of strings that have
> changed, even if it was only a comma, will be lost in Launchpad. My idea
> was: the smaller the msgid, the smaller the loss of translations.

Splitting into shorter strings sounds like a quite bad workaround,
while the problem is with how Launchpad translation tool works.

> btw, with msgmerge I merged the translation file of the previous version
> (oneiric) with the new one (Precise). In Lokalize, a translation tool, the
> strings that have undergone some kind of change, are shown as Fuzzies. I
> only have to translate the small changes in these fuzzies.

So the question is really why the Launchpad tools don't use msgmerge this way?

> Working in
> Lokalize (offline) does not have the advantage of Launchpad, where more than
> one translator can work on the same file online. But working in Launchpad
> means all fuzzies from Lokalize have to be copied manually to Launchpad.
>
> If nothing can be done about this, it means translators are not very keen on
> translating long documents such as The Ubuntu Manual or the official Ubuntu
> Documentation.

I'm very interested in how to get a good web-based  translation
environment using po4a.

Is there anyone using for example Pootle together with po4a?
I'm concerned about how to handle updates from the original in a good way.

/anders

> Regards,
> Hannie Dumoleyn

Anders Nawroth [anders at neotechnology.com]