[Po4a-devel] Markup text alignment interoperability problem between versions 0.42 and 0.45 (debian)

chals chals at chalsattack.com
Sat May 17 17:39:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Quoting chals (2014-05-17 17:28:25)
>> But then the problems begin. If a translator uses po4a version 0.45
>> and pushes all the changed strings in the .po files to git and
>> anonther translator using po4a 0.42 pulls, and then makes changes, the
>> alignment is reverted and so all the strings and po files go back to
>> the original state.
>
> I suspect you cannot expect po4a to work reliably across versions.

Indeed! That is one of the reasons why I am not claiming this to be a
bug. I even stated that it could/should be considered as a feature.

I was trying to point out that we are caught in a loop "inbetween"
releases. If every contributor used the same version, either wheezy's,
jessie's or sid's there wouldn't be any problem at all.

But the problem is still present. In my own case, at home, I
constantly change from one machine to another, running different
versions of debian and if I use po4a from my sid machine I change
files that I didn't intend to change, then if I go to my wheezy
machine, I change those same files again, the next day is the same
thing.... and so on and so forth. (This is just an example, I simply
avoid doing it and stick to wheezy's version so far).

> NB! Beware that I might not be the best authority to judge on that: I've
> only ever hacked on the Markdown parser, never touched the core code.
>

>  - Jonas

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate it. It is very
reassuring to know that there is always someone there,  willing to
help.

Thanks again Jonas, and all the team for the great work :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

--
chals
www.chalsattack.com