[Po4a-devel] Help with po4a on Ruby Document format

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Sun Jun 19 13:17:42 UTC 2016

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 00:13:52 +0200 Didier Spaier wrote:

> Hi there,

Hello Didier, thanks for your prompt reply!

> On 18/06/2016 18:34, Francesco Poli wrote:
[...]
> > I am trying to use po4a in order to internationalize the man page,
> > which is written in Ruby Document format.
> > The source for the man page (in Ruby Document format, as I said) may be
> > seen on the public git repository [2], embedded in the program code
> > (between =begin and =end markers).
[...]
> > Could you please suggest a better strategy?
>
> Why not convert this part of the document to the "man" format and
> then use po4a to "gettextize" it?

I had considered this strategy, but I was a bit hesitant about
extracting text to be translated from the generated man page, rather
than from the actual source (which is in Ruby Document format).

The man page is regenerated from its source each time the package is
rebuilt; I am not sure the extraction of text to be translated from
processed code is a "clean" solution... I would rather work directly
with the actual source...

Is it difficult to implement support for Ruby Document format in po4a?
Maybe I should really file a wishlist bug report...
Any comments from po4a developers?

[...]
> You could also use the txt2tags format instead of the Ruby
> Document format as then the application txt2tags allow you
> to convert the document to many formats including man pages.

Interesting, but is there support for txt2tags format in po4a?
I cannot find any appropriate module for it...

> Alternatively, pandoc can also convert a document in txt2tags
> format to groff man pages.

I already know about pandoc, but here the issue is not converting from
Ruby Document or txt2tags form to the groff man page form (this is
already accomplished pretty decently by the rdtool package): the point
is using po4a on the actual source...

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!