[Po4a-devel] Changing programming languages [WAS: Re: Alioth is closing, po4a needs a new home very soon]

Brian Exelbierd bex at pobox.com
Fri Feb 9 09:04:58 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018, at 10:06 PM, Martin Quinson wrote:

> If you know how to program in python, you could try to come up with a
> prototype of po4a reimplementation. I'm getting the feeling that Perl
> is not the right choice anymore. But the prototype may be difficult
> because we use the regular expressions so much. Scala would probably
> be easier, but I would not say that Scala is a much wiser choice here.
> I dunno what Scala will become in the next decade (which may be the
> last decade for Perl).

we could use perl6 :P

Seriously, I am not sure that changing languages buys us a lot if we don't think through the architecture first.  One question I would like to have to explore is "How many of our formats now have canonical or 'really good' processors that we could leverage instead of writing new parsers?"

regards,

bex