[Po4a-devel] Deprecating the po4a-build script?

Martin Quinson martin.quinson at ens-rennes.fr
Mon Feb 19 00:39:02 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am wondering whether some is actually using po4a-build. It seems
that this binary is superseeded by po4a(1), and I don't see any
po4a-build.conf file in the whole Debian archive:
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=po4a-build.conf

There is 437 mentions of this file on github, but it seems to be
several copies of a file coming named 0.41-po4a-build.patch aiming at
improving the performance of that script. That seems to come from
gentoo, somehow (and the patch does not apply anymore).

If I extend to po4a-build on github, it seems that many people are
packaging po4a in various distro, but I cannot find any use of the
po4a-build script. Did I miss something?

I am considering deprecating this binary, ie having it displaying a
big fat warning "The po4a-build script will soon be removed. Please
switch to po4a(1), or report to the po4a maintainers" and pausing for
five seconds. This behavior could be disabled by setting some
environment variable, maybe.

Then, if nobody comes back to us after 1 or 2 years, we could remove
this binary. Less code to maintain, less doc to translate, less
technical debt.

What do you guys think?
Mt.

--
If you want peace, improve global education.
  -- Translation of "si vis pacem, para bellum" at the age of the Internet.