[Po4a-devel] Alioth is closing, po4a needs a new home very soon

Martin Quinson martin.quinson at ens-rennes.fr
Thu Jan 25 16:20:46 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 04:46:58PM +0100, Jean-Baptiste wrote:
> Is there a reason not to use the new Debian system? I would be surprised not to see static pages hosting.
>
> I also assume they will migrate project history (mailing lists and issues). So you keep a feet in Debian infrastructure and use github only for git.

The new Debian system is salsa.debian.org, which is a specific gitlab
deployment. As such, they support web pages but not mailing lists.

My idea was to keep the Debian packaging on salsa (it's already
setup), but move the upstream project to another hosting solution.
Since I'm a (penitent but regular) user of github, that's what I was
proposing for the upstream project.

We could have picked something else (such as gitlab.org) but I think
that hosting the debian packaging and upstream project both on alioth
made it difficult to potential contributors to see that it was a
distribution-agnostic project, to which they could contribute without
being part of the Debian movement.

Of course, I may be wrong and other options are still possible.

Thanks, Mt.

--
What I am really interested in is knowing whether God could have
created the world in a different way; in other words, whether the