[py3porters-devel] Python 2, Python 3, Stretch & Buster

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Thu Apr 16 15:51:59 UTC 2015

Hey Paul,

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 09:50:02AM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
>     - If *you* maintain or work on a Python 2 project that's used in Debian
>       Development (buildd, release tools, QA tools, ftpteam tools), please
>       email me a link to the project. An accurate census will help hugely. If
>       it works on Python 2, Python 2 and Python 3 or just Python 3, you should
>       include those details as well.

I co-maintain Debsources, which is already in the Debian service census
(https://wiki.debian.org/Services), with an entry at
https://wiki.debian.org/Services/DebianSources

Debsources is currently deployed on Python 2 (migrating to Python 3 is
tracked at #764961).

I've recently migrated it to a code base that _should_ work with both
Python 2 and Python 3, using a mixture of python-modernize, refactoring,
and peer review (thanks Niels for spotting many glitches!). But that's
just the theory, as nobody has ever tried to actually _deploy_ it with
Python 3.

And the reason for that are that at least the following dependencies of
Debsources are missing Python 3 package in Debian:

- flask-wtf: #764959
- wtforms: #780600

I _think_ in both cases there is Python 3 support upstream, but I
haven't thoroughly investigated this. Other people on debian-qa (Cc:-ed)
might have.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o