[py3porters-devel] [Needs Audit] Debian Infra Depends

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Apr 18 05:40:19 UTC 2015

On Sat 2015-04-18 04:38:30 +0200, Bryan Shook wrote:
> So a cursory glance through this list and I spotted a package that won't
> need creation, python-pysqlite2.  That code became the sqlite3 module.

in the same vein, do we want to try to maintain a new python3-psycopg2
when python3-postgresql offers a (possibly more modern) python3 DB-API
driver?

We can do both, of course, but it may be that we want to consider with
some more nuance about what the right upgrade path is for each py2
module.

so far, we've seen the following exceptions to the "we want a
python3-foo package for every python-foo package" rule of thumb:

 a) python-foo binary packages that contain py3 code

 b) python-foo binaries where the upgrade path to python3 is python3-bar
    (python3-foo simply won't be supported)

 c) python-foo binaries where the upgrade path to python3 is python3-bar
    (python3-foo is available but deprecated)

are there other common exceptions?

        --dkg