[py3porters-devel] [Needs Port] piuparts.debian.org

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Sat Apr 18 21:44:30 UTC 2015

Hi Bernhard,

On Samstag, 18. April 2015, Bernhard Janetzki wrote:
> I started to port to python 3:
> https://github.com/ierror/piuparts/commits/develop

very cool!

> # I successfully tested the following with python 2 and 3:

I don't see why we should keep compability with python 2, instead of just
moving to python 3. (At least long term. To ease transition and merging of
bits it might be clever to start with some patches with work for both. Dunno
really.)

The only requirement is that piuparts keeps working with stuff in Debian
stable, as this is what's running on piuparts.debian.org.

> * tested a deb file with piuparts.py
> * passed the tests. As far as i can see unittests.py is no longer needed?
> Can we remove it?

why not use them in the test target instead? seems better to me.

?

> # O_CLOEXEC - “stuck"
> There are some open calls with “e” mode in piuparts-slave.py. ATM i stuck
> on this because python 3 disallows the “e” usage. You can find some
> information about it here: https://bugs.python.org/issue12103. Input is
> very appreciated. :-)

no idea, really.

> Thanks for review, and have a nice day,

TBH, I'm not really knowledgable about python3 at all, so I cannot comment on
many of the changes. Luckily there are more piuparts developers than me and
I'd also trust stuff signed by Paul T. But so it would be really good to split
patches as much as sensible (so I can more quickly merge "easy" commits) and
maybe it would be proper to use (an) extra branch(s) for (parts(?)) of the
python3 transition too.

(develop is where all the development takes place and which is run 99% of the
time on piuparts.d.o - master always at a released stage.)

cheers,
	Holger