[py3porters-devel] Packaging of suds-jurko

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at debian.org
Tue Apr 21 21:58:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:53:08PM +0200, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> Hi together,

Heyya, Mathias!

> My concerns so far are not for backward incompatibility, but for a rather
> reliably maintained upstream. I was in regluar contact with jurko, who said to
> suffer from shortages in ressources. So for now it can be seen, that the
> project receives a lot of public attention (issues, pull requests)and is
> widely used[0], but the last commit dates from last year[1] and development
> seems to stagnate.

Do you see this as a worse issue than suds itself (suds upstream) also
going unmaintained?

> So from my side I am still hesitating and will wait further with pushing
> suds-jurko as a replacement for python-suds.

Is there a downside to shipping it? Are there regressions? I only see it
as a step forward from the archive, not a step back, do you agree? If
so, why not use it as a stop gap?

> If pysimplesoap [2][3] proves to
> be a well maintained project providing all necessary features, it should be the
> preferable target for a Python2/Python3 SOAP client.

Sure, for upstreams that are willing to accept a port to a new library,
I guess I'm wondering what we'll do for upstreams that have roughly
Python 3 compatable code, but with suds; I'd hate to overhaul their code
in a debian/patches/ patch to change a library they use unless we need

> Best,
> Mathias

Cheers,
   Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87