[py3porters-devel] Packaging of suds-jurko

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at debian.org
Wed Apr 22 15:33:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:07:49AM +0200, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> The situation with suds-jurko for sure is not worse, but the problem is
> more generally to get more or keep unmaintained software in the archive.

Entirely sane point of view.

> My thoughts:
>
> - When providing a quite unmaintained suds(-jurko) we will have to maintain
>   the evtl. necessary patches there. So it boils down a little bit, where the
>   patches go: to python-suds or to evtl. rdepends.
> - When not providing a python3-suds package, the pressure on rdepends is
>   slightly higher to consider using another well maintained SOAP client
>   providing python3 support. Soon we will be at the beginning of a new release
>   cycle, so there will be quite some time for rdepends to adapt.

So, I agree with you, but I also think our tradeoff doing such huge
patches to upstream software in Debian is not worth it. I'd rather
tolerate this, and centrally manage all of that effort (e.g. rather then
major patches to 10 apps, maintain minor patches to 1 library)

Of course, this also means that it's *your* time, not *my* time, and I
have no right to have you do any work at all, so this is entirely up to
you.

> So my reservation with providing a python3-suds as a stop gap is, that this will
> rather fix unsane conditions than moving forward.

We can always file bugs and get our peers to talk with their upstreams
about porting to a better backend.

> I surely won't get in the way of my Debian fellows, if I am told that it is
> considered useful to have suds-jurko under the actual circumstances in the
> archive. While trying to contact Jurko once more I will be glad to hear your
> opinions. AFAIR the work already done[0] and dating from July last year
> resulted in a functional package, so usually there shouldn't big drawbacks in
> getting this done provided there weren't any API changes in the meantime (which
> I don't expect).

:+1:

Looking forward to working with you, Mathias!
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87