[py3porters-devel] python-qrcode: Please add python3 package

Alexandre Detiste alexandre.detiste at gmail.com
Wed May 20 20:01:35 UTC 2015

Le mercredi 20 mai 2015, 15:20:52 Daniel Kahn Gillmor a écrit :
> The change is:
>
>   * python-qrcode used to include /usr/bin/qr (and its associated
>     manpage)
>
>   * in the new configuration, python3-qrcode ships this binary.
>
> This means that someone who has installed python-qrcode for the purposes
> of using /usr/bin/qr might be surprised to find that interface disappear
> from their system.  I don't think there are any debian packages that
> have this dependency (the only rdepends are python-freeipa and keysync,
> which i think use the python modules and not /usr/bin/qr) but it's
> conceivable that some user had installed it this way and is now bummed.
>
> Python3 porters: what is the right way forward for packages like this?
>
> If we decide on a case-by-case basis, what is a reasonable rule of thumb
> to follow?
>
> I'm tempted to say that for this package, with its few reverse
> dependencies, and no explicit use of /usr/bin/qr that i can see, we can
> just move the script from python-qrcode to python3-qrcode.
Hi,

You could let python-qrcode "recommends" python3-qrcode,
so that most users that haven't disabled 'install-recommends' get it automatically
and get the /usr/bin/qr they are used to; other could still overide this
(deselect it in aptitude TUI for example).

This problem is not python specific at all; here is an other example:
the doom engine chocolate-doom will be split in 4 package;
so that chocolate-doom proper can move to main while c-strife|heretic|hexen
remain in contrib. To ease upgrades, the new chocolate-doom will
recommends the other 3 spun-off packages.

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-games/chocolate-doom.git/tree/debian/changelog

Alexandre Detiste