[py3porters-devel] Porting reportbug to Python 3

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 1 08:37:46 UTC 2015

Sandro, Chris,

As you may know, there's a current ongoing effort to port everything to
Python 3 in Debian. We've started to fix software which we use
internally in Debian. So I had a look into reportbug.

So far, I've fixed numerous issues, like some print statements, some
Except a, b: and so on, plus numerous import problems. But now I'm a bit
stuck with the import of sgmllib, which is gone in Python 3 (it's
replaced by another parser). The thing is, reading the code, it's
written that this part of reportbug is deprecated, to be removed.

Would you know if it's ok to actually remove that part of the code in
debbugs.py? I'm talking specifically about the BTSParser class. If it is
possible to actually remove it, could you please do the work right now,
so that I can continue my porting effort?

FYI, I have attached my current patch. It's untested, and will likely
require a lot more work to have something that can be uploaded. Though
all of the print and Except/Raise fixes could be apply safely as-is.

Your comments are welcome, and as well, anyone from the py3porters team
is more than welcome to review my patch.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)