[Reportbug-maint] Python API to Access Debian BTS - python-btsutils vs python-debianbts

Gustavo R. Montesino grmontesino at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 11:25:38 UTC 2008

Em Ter, 2008-07-22 às 12:14 +0200, Sandro Tosi escreveu:
> Hi Bastian,

Hello,

> some time ago you contacted us (reportbug maintainers) and first of
> all I want to apologize for this late reply ;)
>
> I noticed you're working a lot on reportbug-ng and what I want to
> discuss here is the way to communicate with Debian BTS from a python
> program (something even us are planning[1] to do in a standard way).
>
> You extracted the code to query BTS and forged a new package,
> python-debianbts, but (there's always a "but" :) ) there already
> exists a package that does it: python-btsutils. Here the rdepends of
> both:
>
> python-btsutils
>    debian-bts-applet
>    bug-triage
> python-debianbts
>    reportbug-ng
>
> Ok, there is not much difference, but I think Debian should have just
> one single python API package to access BTS and for this situation
> maybe concentrate on python-btsutils, that exists since more time and
> has additional capabilities.
>
> What do you think about it? Does it seem reasonable to you to "merge"
> python-debianbts into python-btsutils (in CC its maintainers, so we
> can hear their thinking)?

I've been planning to take a look at Bastian's python-debianbts to see
what are the diferences to python-btsutils and propose something like
this. Bastian has been more active than me on this so it's likely his
packages should be the "oficial" one.

BTW, some time ago the python-debian guys have contacted me about adding
btsutils to their bundle, I suppose their offer would be open to any
package which turns to be the official way of interacting with BTS
through python.

--
Gustavo R. Montesino
http://grmontesino.blogspot.com