[Reportbug-maint] Python API to Access Debian BTS - python-btsutils vs python-debianbts

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:44:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 14:32, Bastian Venthur <venthur at debian.org> wrote:
> Do you have plans for reportbug to use the SOAP interface of our BTS as
> well? Then you guys should definitely participate the discussion about
> the interface.

Yes, I want to remove the custom query code and move to use a "common"
library to provide BTS access.

> I can just recommend the switch from html-parsing to using soap -- I've
> gone through the transition with reportbug-ng and the result is much(!)
> less code and much less error prone code too. And as a bonus, if both,
> reportbug and rng use the SOAP interface, the html/css design of the BTS
> could be redesigned without having to worry about tools which might break.

Well, from an application POV, the communication layer between the
module/lib and BTS is trasparent (it seems python-btsutils let you
choose SOAP or html); of course, I ack to move to SOAP protocol, since
it's the right way to query BTS.

My expectation is to define a complete set of python bindings for
services exposed by BTS: this way there is complete freedom to use &
compose those services.

Cheers,
Sandro