[Reportbug-maint] merging common stuff in python-debianbts?

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 10:52:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:44, Ben Finney <ben+debian at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Sandro Tosi writes:
>> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 06:36, Ben Finney wrote:
>> > I expect to have this branch ready to merge into trunk fairly
>> > soon. Does anyone have any objection to me doing so?
>>
>> My only concern is: do you really think that a package with 200+
>> bugs opened need aestetical or architectural changes instead of
>> bugfixes?
>
> I think that one of the reasons the package has so many open bugs for
> so long is because the code base needs fixes for numerous
> architectural and coding-style problems.
>
> They need to be addressed gradually, so as to minimise disruption and
> keep everything working, but leaving them unaddressed makes the entire
> code base difficult to maintain.

so, you're proposing to postpone the bugs fixing after architectural
changes? what about lenny? it's coming every day nearer... wasn't
reportbug-ng removed from testing because of old bugs unaddressed?
would we ship reportbug in lenny like it's now or a better one?

from a user perspective, code reorg is hidden, what they see are
functionalities, and functs are "freezed" (no
additions/changes/removals) while moving code here and there.

that's why I think it's better to leave such things for lenny+1 and
trying to fix bugs for lenny (and july is the distro freeze, 1 month
and half left), IMHO.

Sandro